Proving Piecewise Continuity of f(x)=x^2sin(1/x) in (0,1)

• Thread starter barksdalemc
  • Start date
In summary: This is enough to show the discontinuity of f(x) in (0,1). In summary, it is shown that f(x)=x^2sin(1/x) is not continuous in (0,1) due to the discontinuity of sin(1/x) at certain points within the interval. A formal proof using the definition of limit can be done by considering a sequence that approaches 0 and observing that the limit of the function is undefined. This is enough to show that the function is discontinuous in (0,1).
barksdalemc

Homework Statement

Show that f(x)=x^2sin(1/x) is piecewise continuous in (0,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to show continuity in (0,1) so I need to show limit as function approaches any given Xo is the value of the function itself, ie. |X^2sin(1/X) - Xo^2sin(1/Xo)|< eps. Can anyone help from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct, but I am given only the interval (0,1). At the least I need to show continuous in that interval. Not sure what choice of eps for this function.

You don't need piecewise here: the function f(x)= x2sin(1/x) not defined "piecewise" on (0, 1).

The problem is that we don't know what you are "allowed" to use. Obviously this is the product of two functions both of which are continuous on (0,1). Are you saying that you are required to use the definition of limit?
It might help to remember that [itex]-1\le sin(\theta )\le 1[/itex] for all [itex]\theta[/itex].

Just use/prove the fact that the composition and product of continuous functions is continuous, and that sin(x), x^2, and 1/x are continuous on (0,1). And please be cleaner with notation- I'm assuming you mean x2sin(1/x) and not x2sin(1/x)

Last edited:
Yes I am required to use the definition of the limit. I was going to use the fact that sin x is bounded. Can I say |X^2sin(1/X) - Xo^2sin(1/Xo)| is always less than or equal to |X^2-Xo^2|? Then I can choose an epsilon that works for f(x)=X^2 to show continuity.

The function is [tex] x^2 sin(\frac{1}{x})[/tex] the derivative of which is
[tex]2x sin(\frac{1}{x}) -cos(\frac{1}{x}) [/tex] which exists for 0<x<1, therefore, the function is continuous for x belonging to (0,1).

Just to clarify by the interval (0,1) I presume you mean for

0< x < 1 and not 0<= x <= 1

Is 1/x continuous at x=0?

Yes, I meant 0<x<1 as the function does not exist at x=0. I don't think 1/x is continuous cause then f(x) is infinity, and the graph of the curve f(x)=1/x at x=0 definitely breaks.

barksdalemc said:

Homework Statement

Show that f(x)=x^2sin(1/x) is piecewise continuous in (0,1)

[itex]x^{2}[/itex] is continuous everywhere in (0,1).

[itex]\sin(1/x)[/itex] is continuous at all points except when [itex]1/x = \n \pi[/itex] where n is a postive integer. That is it is singular at [itex]x = 1/n\pi[/itex] in (0,1). How many values of n satisfy this equation? :smile:

chaoseverlasting said:
The function is [tex] x^2 sin(\frac{1}{x})[/tex] the derivative of which is
[tex]2x sin(\frac{1}{x}) -cos(\frac{1}{x}) [/tex] which exists for 0<x<1, therefore, the function is continuous for x belonging to (0,1).

The derivative cannot be computed for all points in (0,1) for the reason given above. In fact this is conceptually wrong. You cannot compute the derivative first and judge the continuity of the original function! As an example, consider the function [itex]|x|[/itex] in (-1,1) (or any interval containing 0). The function is continuous everywhere in (-1,1) and for that matter in every interval of R, but its derivative is a piecewise continuous function in an interval containing zero.

Hope that helps.

barksdalemc: Don't apply the definition of limit (i.e. the so called epsilon delta criterion) mechanically. Judge the behavior of the functions involved near the point in question...quite often, its easier.

I don't know whether you're familiar with sequences (omit this if you don't). There is a neater way to do the problem formally if you realize that the continuity (or discontinuity) of the function in (0,1) hinges only the continuity of [itex]\sin(1/x)[/itex] in (0,1). If [itex]f(x)[/itex] is continuous then [itex]{x_{n}} \rightarrow x_{0}[/itex] implies [itex]f({x_{n}}) \rightarrow f(x_{0})[/itex]. This in fact is a double-sided implication, so you can use it to prove or disprove the continuity of f(x). The proof of this "theorem" (some call it the sequential criterion for continuity) is slightly involved however. In our problem, you can consider a sequence [itex]{x_{n}} = 1/n\pi[/itex] and observe that as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex], [itex]x_{n} \rightarrow 0[/itex]. Clearly, [itex]f(x_{n}) = 0[/itex] but [itex]Lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x)[/itex] is undefined.

Last edited:

1. What is piecewise continuity?

Piecewise continuity is a type of continuity where a function is continuous on different intervals or "pieces" of its domain. In other words, the function may have discontinuities at certain points, but is still continuous on the intervals between those points.

2. How do you prove piecewise continuity?

To prove piecewise continuity, we need to show that the function is continuous at each of its "pieces" or intervals. This involves checking the limit of the function as it approaches the endpoints of each interval and ensuring that the left and right-hand limits are equal.

3. Why is proving piecewise continuity important?

Proving piecewise continuity is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make accurate predictions about its values. It also helps in determining whether a function is differentiable at certain points.

4. What is the domain of the function f(x)=x^2sin(1/x)?

The domain of f(x)=x^2sin(1/x) is the set of all real numbers except 0. This is because the function is not defined at x=0, as division by 0 is undefined.

5. Why is the interval (0,1) important in proving piecewise continuity?

The interval (0,1) is important in proving piecewise continuity of f(x)=x^2sin(1/x) because it contains the point x=0, which is a potential point of discontinuity for the function. By proving that the function is continuous on this interval, we can show that it is piecewise continuous on its entire domain.