I want to minor in physics but

In summary, you want to minor in physics at one school, but can't because it's not offered as a minor at your current college. You might be able to create your own minor if your current school offers all the courses you're interested in. The best option might be to research the issue and find out the relevant policies.
ranger
Gold Member
Hey all,

I want to minor in physics but the college I'm going to doesn't offer it as a minor. There is however, another college which is offering this and both of these colleges are part of CUNY. I asked someone if its possible for me to do this, but they said I can't attend two colleges at the same time. I really want to have a minor is physics. What are my options here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Will your school perhaps allow you to create your own minor? I don't know if many schools do this sort of thing, just a suggestion.

Does your current school offer all the courses that you're interested in? In the end, you might be happy just taking whatever physics electives you want and forgetting about the minor - depending on your major and/or career choice, having an official minor vs. unofficially taking courses might not matter at all after you graduate.

There are a few courses that are not offered at my home college. But I figured that since I'm going to pay for the physics courses, I should at least get a minor for it. I still don't understand why I can't just can go to the other college and get a minor there.

Pretty much by definition, a "minor" is supplemental to a "major" at the same institution. Here, a student can take up to half the credit hours for a minor, at another school. But it has to be for one of our minors.

You said both schools in your case are part of the CUNY system. I don't know why they won't let you combine courses from the two schools, because I don't know anything about how the CUNY system is organized. The best I can suggest is to research the issue and find out exactly what the relevant policies are. They should be documented in college catalogs, or in faculty or administrative handbooks. Then, work your way up the administrative ladder with your request. I bet it's a pretty formidable bureaucracy, because of the size of the system.

What are the requirements for a minor in physics?

The requirements for a minor in physics vary depending on the university or college. However, most programs require students to take a certain number of physics courses, typically around 18-20 credits. These courses may include introductory physics, calculus-based physics, and upper-level courses in specific areas of physics.

Will minoring in physics help me in my career?

Yes, minoring in physics can provide valuable skills that can be applied to various careers. Physics teaches problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills, which are highly sought after in many industries. It can also open up opportunities for careers in research, engineering, and technology.

Is it too late to minor in physics if I have already declared a major?

No, it is never too late to add a minor in physics. Depending on your current major and the requirements for the minor, you may need to take some additional courses or adjust your course schedule. However, many students successfully complete a minor in physics alongside their major.

What are some benefits of minoring in physics?

Aside from the skills and career opportunities mentioned earlier, minoring in physics can also provide a well-rounded education and a deeper understanding of the world around us. Physics is the foundation of many other scientific disciplines, and understanding its principles can enhance your understanding of other subjects.

Do I need to have a strong background in math to minor in physics?

While a strong foundation in math can be helpful, it is not always a requirement for a minor in physics. Some programs may have prerequisite math courses, but others may offer support or introductory math courses for students without a strong background. With dedication and hard work, any student can succeed in a minor in physics.