Calculation of heat of hydration

In summary, the problem involves calculating the heat of hydration of copper(II)sulphate based on the change in temperature when dissolving anhydrous copper(II)sulphate and copper(II)sulphate pentahydrate in water. The given data includes the masses of the two forms of copper(II)sulphate and the assumption that 1cm cubed of water is equivalent to 1gram. To calculate the heat of hydration, the mass of water and the specific heat are needed. The heat given off by hydration can be calculated using the equation (mass of solution * specific heat * temperature change) = heat of hydration (kJ/mol) * number of moles of salt reacting.
nathaniell
How do I calcualte the heat of hydration of of copper(II)sulphate knowing that when I dissolve anhydrous copper(II)sulphate temperature changes by 2K and when I dissolve copper(II)sulphate pentahydrate in water temperature decreases by 1K.

We are told to assume that 1cm cubed of water is equivalent to 1gram.

The mass of copper(II)sulphate pentahydrate used is 12.5g and the mass of anhydrous copper(II)sulphate is 8.00g

I need to calculate the heat of hydration from the given data? and I can't do it... so please help people.

Physics news on Phys.org
This might give some insight

http://www.rit.edu/~axlsch/classes/schp445/Hydrate%20lab.pdf

Are all the data provided. I would expect mass of the water is needed.

The heat given off by hydration raises the temperature of the solution. (mass of the solution * specific heat * temperature change) = heat of hydration (kJ/mol) * no. of moles of salt reacting

One reaction is exothermic and the other is endothermic

See also - http://www2.wwnorton.com/college/chemistry/gilbert/concepts/chapter13/ch13_1.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
nathaniell said:
How do I calcualte the heat of hydration of of copper(II)sulphate knowing that when I dissolve anhydrous copper(II)sulphate temperature changes by 2K and when I dissolve copper(II)sulphate pentahydrate in water temperature decreases by 1K.

We are told to assume that 1cm cubed of water is equivalent to 1gram.

The mass of copper(II)sulphate pentahydrate used is 12.5g and the mass of anhydrous copper(II)sulphate is 8.00g

I need to calculate the heat of hydration from the given data? and I can't do it... so please help people.
Henceforth, please make use of the template, and include your thoughts/attempts at solving the problem.

1. What is the heat of hydration?

The heat of hydration is the amount of heat released or absorbed when one mole of a substance combines with water to form a hydrated compound. It is a measure of the energy involved in the process of hydration.

2. How is the heat of hydration calculated?

The heat of hydration can be calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the reactants (the anhydrous compound and water) from the enthalpy of the products (the hydrated compound). This can be done using the formula: ΔH = H(products) - H(reactants).

3. What factors affect the heat of hydration?

The heat of hydration can be affected by various factors such as the nature of the compound, the size of the hydrated ion, the temperature of the reaction, and the concentration of the solution. The presence of other substances can also affect the heat of hydration.

4. Why is the calculation of heat of hydration important?

The calculation of heat of hydration is important because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during the process of hydration. This information is useful in various fields such as chemistry, engineering, and environmental science. It can also help in predicting the properties and behavior of hydrated compounds.

5. Can the heat of hydration be negative?

Yes, the heat of hydration can be negative. This means that the process of hydration is exothermic – heat is released during the reaction. On the other hand, a positive heat of hydration indicates an endothermic process in which heat is absorbed. The sign of the heat of hydration depends on the specific compound and its reaction with water.