General solution to diophantine equations

In summary, There is no general method for solving a diophantine equation, and the problem was posed by David Hilbert at the beginning of the 20th century. Martin Davis and Julia Robinson proved that it is impossible to have a general solution. However, there is a specific solution for linear diophantine equations that involves modifying a brute force algorithm to find the smallest solution. This can be applied to a problem of finding the steps to reach a certain value using n jugs of arbitrary sizes.
mr_garlic
Hello, I'm writing an application for a java class that solves the problem where you are given n jugs of arbitrary sizes and have to come up with the steps to reach a certain value.

I have figured out(read: did research) how to do this in a different way than the original, but it requires math that I don't know how to solve.

My question is, what is the general method for solving a diophantine equation of the form asub1x+asub2y+...asubnz = something or if you could point me to a paper or article on the subject

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no general way to solve a diophantine equation. David Hilbert posed finding a general solution to diophantine equations as his tenth problem at the onset of the 20th century. Martin Davis and Julia Robinson proved that no general solution exists in the middle of the 20th century.

Gah, I meant linear diophantine equations, sorry for not specifying.

Ignoring a general mathematical solution, I realized that I can modify my brute force algorithm to find the smallest solution(closest to 0) to linear diophantine equations. An interesting application to an otherwise useless problem. I'll link to the library in a few minutes.

1. What is a Diophantine equation?

A Diophantine equation is a type of mathematical equation in which only integer solutions are allowed. These equations were originally studied by the ancient Greek mathematician Diophantus, hence the name.

2. What is the general solution to a Diophantine equation?

The general solution to a Diophantine equation is a set of all possible integer solutions that satisfy the equation. This solution is not specific to one particular equation, but rather provides a framework for finding solutions to any equation of this type.

3. How do you find the general solution to a Diophantine equation?

To find the general solution to a Diophantine equation, one must use a combination of algebraic manipulations and number theory techniques. This can involve factoring, modular arithmetic, and the use of the Euclidean algorithm.

4. Are there any specific techniques for solving Diophantine equations?

Yes, there are several techniques that are commonly used to solve Diophantine equations. These include the method of infinite descent, congruence equations, and the use of generating functions.

5. Can all Diophantine equations be solved using the general solution method?

No, not all Diophantine equations can be solved using the general solution method. Some equations may not have any integer solutions, while others may have infinitely many solutions. In some cases, a more specific approach or advanced mathematical techniques may be needed to find a solution.