Hubble Space Telescope?

In summary: It has pictures of recent and historic astronomical discoveries, and links to articles and videos that explain them in more detail. I saw once a while back on the History Channel that Hubble looks something like 14.5 billion years into the past? I know very very very little about physics but this has me very interested. Could some one clarify this a bit? I assume that the reason Hubble looks into the past is because the light has not reached us yet? I don't know, help please!In summary, Hubble can look into the past because the light has not reached us yet.
staticedge
I saw once a while back on the History Channel that Hubble looks something like 14.5 billion years into the past? I know very very very little about physics but this has me very interested. Could some one clarify this a bit? I assume that the reason Hubble looks into the past is because the light has not reached us yet? I don't know, help please! =)

-Matt

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Since it takes time for light to travel any given distance, anytime one looks at anything one is looking into the past. The sun is about 8 light minutes away, so you are seeing it as it looked about 8 minutes ago.

Maybe someday we can pick up light that's traveled millions of years and has conveniently bounced back to us... there for we can look at our own past ! :smile:

maybe even see the dino's :wink:

I figured that was what was going on. You guys know where I can find out more about this? I have some more questions, maybe I'll have to time post them later but I need to run right now. Thanks again!

-Matt

Gazing deep enough into outer space has the oldest objects in the universe (quazars, etc.) that may give scientists an insight on how the early universe evolved into its current state. Its pretty exciting stuff, then again, I like the mysterious and unknown.

staticedge said:
I figured that was what was going on. You guys know where I can find out more about this? I have some more questions, maybe I'll have to time post them later but I need to run right now. Thanks again!
Well, not to toot our own collective horn, but pf is a great place to find out more about this topic!

You may also want to start with some books on astrophysics or cosmology. Your local college bookstore should have many.

You can also learn quite a bit by reading Ned Wright's Cosmology Tutorial, available here:

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm

(It's unfortunate how few introductory expositions of cosmology exist... maybe I should begin writing The Cartoon Guide to Cosmology?)

- Warren

Apod

staticedge said:
Matt, if your learning style is lots of little bite-sized chunks, which you can read at any time, and with tons and tons of other resources that you can follow just by clicking on a link, then why not try
Astronomy Picture of the Day?

1. What is the Hubble Space Telescope?

The Hubble Space Telescope is a powerful telescope that was launched into orbit by NASA in 1990. It is named after American astronomer Edwin Hubble and has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing stunning images and important scientific data.

2. How big is the Hubble Space Telescope?

The Hubble Space Telescope is approximately the size of a school bus, with a length of 43 feet and a weight of 24,500 pounds. It has a 7.9-foot primary mirror and is powered by two solar arrays.

3. What has the Hubble Space Telescope discovered?

The Hubble Space Telescope has made numerous important discoveries, including the first accurate measurement of the age of the universe, evidence of dark energy, the detection of over 10,000 galaxies, and the discovery of new moons and planets in our solar system.

4. How does the Hubble Space Telescope work?

The Hubble Space Telescope uses a combination of mirrors and lenses to gather light from distant objects in space. This light is then focused onto a series of instruments that capture images and data. The telescope's orbit above Earth's atmosphere also allows for clearer and more detailed observations.

5. Can the Hubble Space Telescope be repaired or upgraded?

Yes, the Hubble Space Telescope has been repaired and upgraded several times since its launch. The most recent upgrade was in 2009 when new instruments were installed and older ones were repaired. These upgrades have extended the telescope's lifespan and continue to improve its capabilities.