Vectors (Direction of Resultant Displacement)

In summary: So, in summary, the car traveled a total distance of 9 km (3.05 km north + 4.55 km west + 1.40 km south). Using the method of components, the magnitude of the resultant displacement is 4.84 km and the direction is 70.1 degrees west of north. This is because the angle is measured from north to west, making it 70.1 degrees north of west.
Heat

Homework Statement

A disoriented car drives a distance 3.05 km north, then a distance 4.55km west, and then a distance 1.40 km south.

Find the magnitude of the resultant displacement, using the method of components.

Find the direction of the resultant displacement (in West of North degrees), using the method of components.

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to find the magnitude of the resultant displacement to be 4.84.

This is because:

x y
A 3.05 0 3.05
B 4.55 -4.55 0
C 1.40 0 -1.40

Now for the direction is what I am having conflicts with,
I did the following:

arctan (1.65/-4.55) = -19.9

I would assume that the following degree is the angle between the resultant displament and the x axis, leading it to be 19.9 degrees. I got it wrong.

Then I would assume it would be 180-19.9, which is 160.1. This is wrong also.

I would then assume in my last try that it would be 90-19.9.
It would turn out to be 70.1.

But why would it be the inner angle between the resultant displacement and the y-axis and not between the x axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because they asked for "West of North degrees". North is the y axis.

So what would they have to say for it to be 19.9?

North of West Degrees...

Exxxxactly.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude.

2. How do you find the direction of a resultant displacement?

The direction of a resultant displacement can be found by using the trigonometric ratios of sine, cosine, and tangent. First, draw a scale diagram of all the vectors involved. Then, use the inverse trigonometric functions to find the angles of each vector. Finally, add or subtract the angles to find the direction of the resultant displacement.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, such as speed or temperature. A vector has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force. Scalars can be added or subtracted using simple arithmetic, while vectors must be added or subtracted using vector algebra.

4. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the straight-line distance and direction from an initial position to a final position. It is always measured from a fixed reference point. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length traveled, regardless of direction. It is not necessarily measured from a fixed reference point.

5. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of a vector using its components?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem: magnitude = √(x² + y² + z²), where x, y, and z are the components of the vector along each axis. The direction can be found using the inverse tangent function: direction = tan⁻¹(y/x), where x and y are the horizontal and vertical components of the vector, respectively.