Question on Selective precipitation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of gravimetric analysis to determine the amounts of Cl- and I- in a solution containing both ions at a concentration of 0.01 M. It is suggested to add Ag+ to precipitate out the I- first, using a calculated concentration of 8.5E-11 M. The question of why the molarity is multiplied by (0.01%/100%) is also brought up, with an explanation that it is to lower the concentration. The goal is to achieve a complete separation of 99.99% of I- in the solution.
higherme
can anyone check if this is right?

question :
Explain if a solution contains both I− and Cl− at about 0.01 M, can we determine the amount of Cl− and I− independently by using gravimetric analysis?

yes
add [AG+] to precipitate out the I- first ( ksp is smaller)

0.01M * (0.01%/100%) = 1.0E-6 M I-
ksp = [Ag+][I-]
8.5E-17 = [Ag+](1.0E-6)
[Ag+] = 8.5E-11 M <------ add to precipitate AgI

increase [Ag+] to precipitate Cl- left

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you multiplying the molarity by (0.01%/100%) ?

to lower the concentration:

i found using google:
"What do we mean by complete separation--> the concentration in solution of the analyte of interest must be less than or equal to 0.01% of its original value."

Okay, so you want to remove 99.99% of I-. That's fine. You've calculated that it takes 8.5E-11M of Ag+ to precipitate most of the I-.

So far, so good. Now what do you need to calculate next?

1. What is selective precipitation?

Selective precipitation is a technique used in chemistry to separate two or more substances from a mixture based on their different solubility in a solvent. It involves adding a reagent that reacts with one of the substances to form a precipitate, which can then be filtered out.

2. How does selective precipitation work?

Selective precipitation works by exploiting the differences in solubility between the substances in a mixture. The reagent added reacts with one of the substances to form a precipitate, which is then filtered out. The remaining solution contains the other substance(s) that were not affected by the reagent.

3. What are the advantages of selective precipitation?

The main advantage of selective precipitation is its simplicity and cost-effectiveness compared to other separation techniques. It also allows for the separation of substances that have similar physical properties, making it a useful tool in analytical chemistry.

4. What are the limitations of selective precipitation?

One of the limitations of selective precipitation is that it can only be used to separate substances with significant differences in solubility. It also requires careful selection of the reagent and proper conditions (pH, temperature, etc.) for successful separation.

5. What are some practical applications of selective precipitation?

Selective precipitation is commonly used in environmental analysis, pharmaceutical research, and forensic science. It can also be used in industries such as mining and water treatment to remove impurities from solutions.