Complete the group as isomorphic

In summary: It is against the community guidelines. You can provide hints or guidance, but not complete solutions. Thank you.In summary, the conversation revolved around completing a multiplication table for two groups, one that is isomorphic to Z4 and one that is not. The first group had a consistent pattern of a's in each row, while the second group had a different pattern and did not follow group properties. Ultimately, it was determined that both groups were correct and one could obtain an A in the class with this understanding.
Anarchy6k2
1. Complete the following table to obtain a Group, G, that is isomorphic to Z4
2. Complete the same table to obtain a Group, H, that is NOT isomorphic to Z4

*| a b c d

a|
b|
c|
d|

I tried to complete the group as isomorphic, can anyone tell me if this is correct?

*| a b c d

a| a a a a
b| a b c d
c| a c a c
d| a d c b

And here is my attempt at part to as if it is not an isomorphism

*| a b c d

a| a b c d
b| b c d a
c| c d a b
d| d a b c

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anarchy6k2 said:

*| a b c d

a| a a a a
b| a a a a
c| a a a a
d| a a a a
You're saying that this is the multiplication table for a group? What's the inverse of b?

:(

All I can say is LOL you might want to work on the table with all a's in it. It has to follow group properties. I hope that's not the grade you want in this class.

ok here

ok now that you got rid of all those crazy a's here is what I got.

Part 1. isomorphic to Z4
abcd
bcda
cdab
dabc

part 2. not isomorphic to Z4
abcd
badc
cdab
dcba

Anyone else get this?

Thanks, I was talking it over with some friends and we all got the same thing. Thanks for the assistance haha now I can definatly get an A ^_^

Yes, all groups of order 4 are either isomorphic to Z4 or the Klein 4 group.

CrazyCalcGirl- please do NOT give complete answers in the homework section.

1. What does it mean to complete a group as isomorphic?

Completing a group as isomorphic means to find another group that is isomorphic to the given group. This means that the two groups have the same structure and preserve the same algebraic operations.

2. Why is it important to complete a group as isomorphic?

Completing a group as isomorphic allows us to better understand the structure and properties of the given group. It also helps us to solve problems and make connections between different groups.

3. How do you determine if two groups are isomorphic?

To determine if two groups are isomorphic, you can check if there exists a bijective function between the two groups that preserves the group operation. This means that the function must map the identity element to the identity element and the operation must be preserved for all elements in the group.

4. Can any group be completed as isomorphic?

No, not all groups can be completed as isomorphic. For example, groups with different orders or non-isomorphic structures cannot be completed as isomorphic.

5. What are some applications of completing a group as isomorphic?

Completing a group as isomorphic has various applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. It also helps in understanding the relationships between different groups and in solving problems related to group theory.