Velocity Vectors | True/False Answers

In summary, the conversation discussed the velocity vectors V1 and V2, with V1 having a magnitude of 3m/s and being directed along the +x-axis, and V2 having a magnitude of 2m/s. The sum of the two vectors is V3, and it was determined that the magnitude of V3 can be 0, 6m/s, 5m/s, -1m/s, or 3m/s. It was also mentioned that C and F are true statements. The conversation concluded with a hint to try drawing and understanding vector addition.
am08
[SOLVED] Velocity Vectors

The velocity vector V1 has a magnitude of 3m/s and is directed along the +x-axis. The velocity vector V2 has a magnitude of 2m/s. The sum of the two is V3, so that V3 = V1+V2

A) The magnitude of V3 can be 0
B) The magnitude of V3 can be 6m/s
C) The magnitude of V3 can be 5m/s
D) The x-component of V3 can be -1m/s
E) The magnitude of V3 can be -4m/s
F) The magnitude of V3 can be 3m/s

Which are true and which are false?

I can't figure this out, if someone would even give me a hint... please I'd really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a drawing

tried that...still don't understand

I think C and F are true...

Start with the first one. Is there anyway those two vectors can add up to zero? Do you know what vector addition is?

i got it, thanks for your help. :)

1. What is a velocity vector?

A velocity vector is a graphical representation of an object's velocity, which includes both the speed and direction of motion. It is often represented as an arrow pointing in the direction of motion with a length that represents the speed.

2. How is velocity vector different from speed?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the rate of motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that also includes the direction of motion. This means that two objects can have the same speed but different velocity if they are moving in different directions.

3. Can a velocity vector be negative?

Yes, a velocity vector can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the vector's arrow. For example, a car moving westward would have a velocity vector pointing towards the left (or negative x-axis).

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a velocity vector?

The magnitude of a velocity vector is equal to the speed of the object. This can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. For example, if a car travels 100 meters in 5 seconds, its speed (and magnitude of velocity) would be 20 meters per second.

5. Can two objects have the same velocity vector?

Yes, two objects can have the same velocity vector if they are moving at the same speed and in the same direction. However, they would still be considered separate objects with their own individual velocities.