What is the Scientifically Accepted Age of Planet Earth?

In summary, the Earth is around 4.6 billion years old, and evidence points to this age being accurate.
VashtiMaiden
:rolleyes: I've been wondering about the Earth's age. Some says...1000000000000 or what..? other says..almost 7000 years or 6000+..Well, what do you think?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Well, we don't really know but an educated guess would be about 4.55 billion years (4,550,000,000). That's the calculated age from radioactive decay processes of some meteorietes. The oldest know rock from the moon is calculated to be 4.5 billion years. The oldest rock on Earth is 4.4 billion years old.

Forget 6000, that's not science but misplaced faith.

The age of the Earth does not depend on what one personally thinks. The established figure is ~4.6 billion years and we know it from several independent lines of evidence.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html

Really, it's most definitely older than 6000 years; we have evidence of human culture even from long before then in the form of cave paintings. (And of course, suggesting that those caves were created *with* the paintings opens up the door for Last Thursdayism as a counter-point...)

I don't think anyone has ever said that the Earth was a trillion years old.

Well, I think Planet Earth's age is 6000+.

I agree that it is definitely 6000+.

Okay, so this is a science forum, not a religious one. By agreeing with you that the Earth is 6000+ years old, I coyly meant in the neighbourhood of about 4.54 billion years.

Snazzy said:
Okay, so this is a science forum, not a religious one. By agreeing with you that the Earth is 6000+ years old, I coyly meant in the neighbourhood of about 4.54 billion years.

I know that this is science forum, but i don't want to set aside my religious belief.

Evidence that the Earth is much older than 6000 years comes from multiple branches of science: anthropology, astronomy, biology, chemistry, physics, and of course geology. All but anthropology (humans are relatively young) provide multiple pieces of extremely strong evidence regarding the incredible age of the Earth. The Earth is over 4.5 billion years old, and the universe itself is a bit more than three times as old as the Earth. This is a science forum. You can talk about your religious beliefs elsewhere, but not in this forum.

Snazzy said:
I agree that it is definitely 6000+.

To be on the safe side, and to offend nobody's religious beliefs, let's agree that the Earth is older than 5 seconds. That should be an acceptable ecumenic consensus :rofl:

vanesch said:
To be on the safe side, and to offend nobody's religious beliefs, let's agree that the Earth is older than 5 seconds. That should be an acceptable ecumenic consensus :rofl:

:bugeye::eek:

:uhh:..5 seconds..?

I read the bible, I don't think that the Earth is no more older than 6000 years.
God created everything in seven days but a morning and an evening may represent geological period such as the Devonian.
Genesis 1:20 God said Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life ... We know that life started in the oceans, Cambrian explosion ?

Adam was the first of all men or the first of a civilisation ?
The story of Adam, Cain and Abel show the neolithic transition from the hunter-gatherer societies into agricultural communities that happened 9000 years ago and later in some place of the world.

Last edited:
Tana Umaga said:
I don't think that the Earth is no more older than 6000 years.

The story of Adam, Cain and Abel show the neolithic transition from the hunter-gatherer societies into agricultural communities that happened 9000 years ago

errrm... what?

Let's get with the program here people.

VashtiMaiden said:
:rolleyes: I've been wondering about the Earth's age. Some says...1000000000000 or what..? other says..almost 7000 years or 6000+..Well, what do you think?

It sounds like you're really asking: do members of this forum believe what the Bible says, literally, or do they believe what scientific evidence says.

As for me I believe the scientific evidence. Nothing personal against the more religious of those among us.

The Earth (along with the rest of the universe ) was formed last thursday with all the radioactive decay products and mineral deposits in place.

Moridin said:
The age of the Earth does not depend on what one personally thinks. The established figure is ~4.6 billion years and we know it from several independent lines of evidence.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html
Since the approximate age of the Earth question has been answered and anything else is a religious discussion. Thread closed.

1. How was the age of planet Earth determined?

The age of planet Earth was determined using radiometric dating methods. This involves measuring the decay of radioactive elements found in rocks and minerals, such as uranium and potassium, to determine the age of the Earth.

2. What is the estimated age of planet Earth?

The estimated age of planet Earth is around 4.5 billion years old. This is based on the radiometric dating of meteorites and rocks from the Earth's surface.

3. Has the estimated age of planet Earth changed over time?

Yes, the estimated age of planet Earth has changed over time. Initially, scientists believed the Earth to be much younger, but with advancements in technology and more accurate dating methods, the current estimated age is around 4.5 billion years old.

4. How do scientists know the Earth is not infinitely old?

Scientists know that the Earth is not infinitely old because of the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. The Earth's primary source of energy is the Sun, and if the Earth were infinitely old, it would have already used up all of its energy and would not be able to sustain life.

5. How does the age of planet Earth compare to the universe?

The age of planet Earth is relatively young compared to the universe. It is estimated that the universe is around 13.8 billion years old, making the Earth only about one-third of the age of the universe.