Solve Diffraction Question: 2 Speakers 4.0m Apart, 325Hz, 343m/s, 4.5m Away

• Thread starter equanox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary, the problem is asking for the spacing between the location where no sound is heard due to destructive interference in a two-slit experiment with sound waves. The condition for destructive interference is when the path length of the two waves differ by a half-integer wavelength. Using this, the shortest distance between the two speakers can be calculated to determine the spacing where no sound is heard.
equanox

Homework Statement

I am having difficulty with this problem because I am not quite sure where to start.

A lecturer is demonstrating two-slit interference with sound waves. Two speakers are used 4.0 meters apart. The sound frequency is 325 Hz and the speed of sound is 343 m/s. Students sit in seats 4.5 meters away. What is the spacing between the location where no sound is heard because of destructive interference?

Homework Equations

x <center>lamda
_ = <center>____ ? (sorry these didn't line up too well)

L <center> d

The Attempt at a Solution

I know full well that I'm supposed to show work, but the problem is that I don't know how to get started. I tried using the equation that I showed above, using 4.0 as d and 4.5 as L, but then that leaves frequency and speed of sound, which don't fit in. I then tried v=f(lamda), which works partially, except they aren't asking for wave length in this problem as far as I know. I can't figure out if there's too much information in the problem, or if I'm just looking at the wrong equations. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start from the top. What is the condition for destructive interference between two waves?

As an aside, this question has nothing to do with diffraction.

If separation is equal to 1/2 a wavelength plus a multiple of the wavelength there will be destructive interference, correct?

equanox said:
If separation is equal to 1/2 a wavelength plus a multiple of the wavelength there will be destructive interference, correct?
Correct, that is constructive interference occurs if the path length (L) of the two waves differ by,

[tex]L = \left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda\;\;\;\;\; n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

Therefore, you need to find the shortest distance by which the two waves for the two speakers differ by a half-integer wavelength.

Last edited:
Okay...now I have a better idea of what I should do. If I have trouble I'll ask again. Thanks a lot for helping me :)

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is the bending and spreading of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle.

2. How does the distance between speakers affect diffraction?

The distance between speakers can affect diffraction by changing the interference pattern of the waves. In this case, the closer the speakers are, the more pronounced the diffraction effects will be.

3. How does frequency affect diffraction?

Higher frequencies tend to diffract less than lower frequencies. In this case, the lower frequency of 325Hz will have more noticeable diffraction effects compared to a higher frequency.

4. How does the speed of sound affect diffraction?

The speed of sound can affect diffraction by changing the wavelength and the amount of bending that occurs. In this case, the speed of sound is given as 343m/s, which will determine the wavelength of the sound waves.

5. How do I calculate the diffraction pattern for this scenario?

The diffraction pattern can be calculated using the formula D = (nλL)/d, where D is the distance between the central maximum and first order maximum, n is the order of the maximum, λ is the wavelength, L is the distance between the speakers, and d is the distance from the speakers to the observation point. In this case, D can be calculated and the pattern can be drawn based on the given values.