Electric flux definition confusion

In summary, there is confusion about the concept of electric flux as two different textbooks provide conflicting information. One book states that electric flux is simply the charge enclosed within a surface, while the other book claims it is the charge divided by the electric constant. After seeking information from other sources, it is revealed that the first case applies to the electric displacement, while the second one pertains to the electric field.
julius71989
Help. I am confused. I have read two different infos in different textbooks. I have read the topic about electric flux in different books. The first book says that electric flux is simply the Q (charge)in an enclosed surface, on the other hand, the other book says that electric flux is the Q/e(epsilon) in an enclosed surface. Which is correct? I have sought other different books but still it showed me these different ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first case, for which the flux through the closed surface is Q, is the flux of D, the electric displacement, whereas the second one is for E the electric field.

Hello,

I understand your confusion about the definition of electric flux. The concept of electric flux can be a bit tricky to understand because it is defined in different ways in different textbooks. However, both definitions are actually correct, but they are just different ways of expressing the same concept.

The first definition, which states that electric flux is simply the Q (charge) in an enclosed surface, is known as the absolute definition of electric flux. This definition is often used in introductory physics courses and is a simpler way of understanding electric flux.

The second definition, which states that electric flux is the Q/e (epsilon) in an enclosed surface, is known as the relative definition of electric flux. This definition is often used in more advanced physics courses and takes into account the permittivity of the medium in which the charge is located.

So, both definitions are correct, but they are just different ways of looking at electric flux. It is important to understand both definitions and how they are related to each other. I suggest consulting with your teacher or professor to clarify any confusion and to ensure that you have a solid understanding of the concept.

I hope this helps clear up your confusion. Keep studying and asking questions, and you will have a better understanding of electric flux in no time.

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the total electric field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol φ and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. What is the difference between electric flux and electric field?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a surface, while electric field is a measure of the strength of the electric force at a specific point in space. Electric flux takes into account the size of the surface, while electric field does not.

3. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the surface area vector. This can also be written as the integral of the electric field over the surface area.

4. Why is there confusion surrounding the definition of electric flux?

There can be confusion surrounding the definition of electric flux because it is a concept that is closely related to electric field, and the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably. Additionally, electric flux has different definitions in different contexts, such as in Gauss's law and in Faraday's law.

5. How is electric flux used in practical applications?

Electric flux is used in many practical applications, such as in calculating the strength of electric fields in circuits, determining the total charge enclosed by a surface, and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It is also an important concept in the study of electricity and magnetism in physics and engineering.