Can you claim land by building a house on it and living there?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: We still have it in PA. The squatter must continously occupy the land for 21 years. The occupation must be open, assertive in nature, and uncontested. It is intended to cover those cases where a genuine mistake about metes and bounds has happened, not to permit theft. The squatter must then go to court and prove all the above.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I know some one that did it, he built a house out of packing cases and lived in it for some time, then he claimed the land was his and got it, he had enough to start a stud farm.

http://www.repossessed-house-sales.co.uk/claimunregisteredlandpropertyfree_160758.html

I am not saying that is the way to go but has anyone ever done such a similar thing?

Seems i know a few plots of land used by farmers but are not officially theirs.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
I know some one that did it, he built a house out of packing cases and lived in it for some time, then he claimed the land was his and got it, he had enough to start a stud farm.

http://www.repossessed-house-sales.co.uk/claimunregisteredlandpropertyfree_160758.html

I am not saying that is the way to go but has anyone ever done such a similar thing?

Seems i know a few plots of land used by farmers but are not officially theirs.
I've heard of it, it's called - Adverse possession - Some tramp in London a few months ago gained title to an acre or two of some park he had been living in for years. Because of it's location it's value was quoted by the press at the time as being around £2 - 3 million!

I bought my current house about 12 years ago and as part of the planning application deal the builder did with the council, he left a wide swathe of land at the front of it (about 1/10 acre) in case the council ever wanted to widen the road. Since then it seems the builder never formally handed the land over to the council who therefore don't maintain it and so I have had to cut the damn grass ever since. I think to get my own back I'll claim adverse possession over it :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to have "homesteading" laws in the US, now only a few states still have them, and even those states limit it to allow homesteading to mean that no one can put a lien on your house. The state I live in doesn't even allow that now. The remaining laws are so restricted that I don't even bother with them as they don't apply to me.

Back in the old days, you could stake a claim and build on it and improve it, then it became yours. No more.

My great grandfather who is residing in Massachusetts acquired his land through “adverse possession”. They said that he occupied the abandoned land for such a long time; I’m not sure how really long it was but after that he successfully owned the land. I think there were legal requirements that he had provided before he actually acquired the land. If I have time, I will ask my grandfather regarding this matter.

agentyumi said:
My great grandfather who is residing in Massachusetts acquired his land through “adverse possession”. They said that he occupied the abandoned land for such a long time; I’m not sure how really long it was but after that he successfully owned the land. I think there were legal requirements that he had provided before he actually acquired the land. If I have time, I will ask my grandfather regarding this matter.

Also known as "Squatter's rights"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_possession#Squatter.27s_rights

We still have it in PA. The squatter must continously occupy the land for 21 years. The occupation must be open, assertive in nature, and uncontested. It is intended to cover those cases where a genuine mistake about metes and bounds has happened, not to permit theft. The squatter must then go to court and prove all the above.

What is "claiming land"?

"Claiming land" refers to the process of legally establishing ownership or control over a piece of land. It is often done to protect resources, establish boundaries, or for development purposes.

How can someone claim land?

There are several ways to claim land, depending on the location and type of land. In some cases, it may involve purchasing the land from a previous owner, while in other cases it may involve filing a claim with a government agency or following specific legal procedures.

What are the requirements for claiming land?

The requirements for claiming land vary depending on the location and type of land. Generally, the person claiming the land must have a valid reason for doing so, such as living on the land or using it for agriculture or business purposes. They must also be able to prove their claim with documentation and follow any applicable laws or regulations.

Can someone claim land that is already owned by someone else?

In most cases, no. If someone already legally owns land, it cannot be claimed by someone else. However, there may be exceptions in cases of abandoned or unclaimed land, or if the current owner is not using the land for its intended purpose.

What happens after someone successfully claims land?

After someone successfully claims land, they will typically receive legal documentation, such as a deed or title, to prove their ownership. They may also be responsible for paying property taxes and following any laws or regulations related to the use and maintenance of the land.