How can we parametrize a surface with an angle and radius?

• Thread starter Marin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, Marin is looking to determine the set of all lines on a surface defined by x_1^2+x_2^2-x_3^2=1. Their idea is to find one line parametrized by an angle and radius, and then use rotation to define the rest of the surface. They believe that the phase difference between angles will be constant for every line, but need help proving it. Tiny-tim suggests finding the lines that go through (1,0,0) and calculating where they meet the two planes z = ±a constant.
Marin
Hi there!

I´ve come upon the following problem: I want to determine the set of all lines of the following surface:

[tex]x_1^2+x_2^2-x_3^2=1[/tex]

Here´s my idea: if one could determine one line parametrised by an angle and a radius, one could define the whole surface as rotation of this line over the x_3-axis. One can write every point of the surface as [tex]rcos\phi,rsin\phi,\sqrt{r^2-1}[/tex] where r is supposed to be the vector of any circle, got by a slice, parallel to the x_1x_2-plane

We then go to the otherside of the x_1x_2-plane, to get (by symmetry) onother circle with radius of the same length. If we define another point on it, it will be of the form [tex]rcos\psi,rsin\psi,-\sqrt{r^2-1}[/tex].

I claim (by intuition) that the phase difference between the angles will be constant for every line, but I cannot prove it :(

Can someone please help me, or give me a hint?

Thanks a lot in advance, Marin

Physics news on Phys.org
Marin said:
I´ve come upon the following problem: I want to determine the set of all lines of the following surface:

[tex]x_1^2+x_2^2-x_3^2=1[/tex]

Hi Marin! :smile:

Hint: find the lines that go through (1,0,0). :wink:

thanks, tiny-tim, it works :) But waht about my claim "the phase difference between the angles will be constant for every line" ? How can I find out if it is right?

Marin said:
thanks, tiny-tim, it works :) But waht about my claim "the phase difference between the angles will be constant for every line" ? How can I find out if it is right?

Hi Marin! :smile:

I honestly can't see the difficulty …

just calculate where the line through (1,0,0) meets the two planes z = ±a constant. :wink:

1. What does it mean to parametrize a surface?

Parametrizing a surface means representing the coordinates of points on a surface using one or more variables. This allows us to describe the surface's geometry and location in a mathematical way.

2. Why is parametrizing a surface important in scientific research?

Parametrizing a surface is important because it allows us to use mathematical tools and techniques to analyze and understand the surface. It also helps us to visualize and model the surface, making it easier to study and make predictions about its behavior.

3. How do you parametrize a surface?

To parametrize a surface, we need to find a set of coordinates that can describe every point on the surface. This can be done by using equations or functions that relate the coordinates to known variables, such as x and y.

4. What are the benefits of parametrizing a surface in three dimensions?

Parametrizing a surface in three dimensions allows for a more complete understanding of the surface's shape and characteristics. It also allows for more accurate and detailed calculations, as well as the ability to visualize the surface in a 3D space.

5. Are there different methods for parametrizing a surface?

Yes, there are different methods for parametrizing a surface depending on the type of surface and the desired level of complexity. Some common methods include using Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, or parametric equations. The method chosen will depend on the specific needs and goals of the research being conducted.