Find Quadratic Numbers in Z3 - Marin's Help Request

In summary: If you want to find the other two, you would need to look at the other equivalence classes and see which values can equal x*x mod 3 there. Sorry I can't be more help!In summary, Z3 has two quadratic numbers, 1 and 0, and figuring out which values can equal x*x mod 3 is necessary to find the other two.
Marin
Hi there!

I need a little help from your side. Could you give me an example of a quadratic number in Z3

there is a lemma, that says there are exactly two quadratic numbers there, but I somehow cannot figue out how to find them :(

I know that there are 3 equivalence classes there: [0], [1], [2], so the numbers should be equivalent to one of these...

Thanks´s very much in advance,
marin

Physics news on Phys.org
Marin said:
Hi there!

I need a little help from your side. Could you give me an example of a quadratic number in Z3

there is a lemma, that says there are exactly two quadratic numbers there, but I somehow cannot figue out how to find them :(

I know that there are 3 equivalence classes there: [0], [1], [2], so the numbers should be equivalent to one of these...

marin
I am not familiar with proper terminology, so please excuse if I say this wrong. Z3 is the equivalence class mod 3 so we need to find which values can equal x*x mod 3. The squares 1,4,9,16,25,36 ... are respectively equal to 1,1,0,1,1,0 mod 3
so the two quadratic numbers are 1 and 0 in Z3. To find the quadratic numbers in Z13 you simply take the values of x*x mod 13 as x goes from 0 to 6 since 7 = -6 mod 13 and 7*7 = 6*6 mod 13.

Marin said:
Hi there!

marin
I'm not clear on what you mean by "quadratic numbers". Do you mean just numbers, y, such that x2= x*x= y? If so, then look at 0*0= 0, 1*1= 1, 2*2= 4= 1 mod 3. the two "quadratic numbers", if this is what you mean, in Z3 are [0] and [1].

1. What are quadratic numbers?

Quadratic numbers, also known as square numbers, are numbers that can be expressed as the product of two equal integers. For example, 4 is a quadratic number because it can be expressed as 2 x 2.

2. What is Z3?

Z3, also known as the ring of integers modulo 3, is a mathematical concept that involves performing arithmetic operations on numbers in a specific way. In Z3, only the remainders after division by 3 are considered, resulting in a set of numbers from 0 to 2.

3. How do you find quadratic numbers in Z3?

To find quadratic numbers in Z3, you can square all the numbers from 0 to 2 and see which ones result in remainders of 0, 1, or 2 after division by 3. These numbers will be the quadratic numbers in Z3.

4. Why is Marin requesting help to find quadratic numbers in Z3?

Marin may be requesting help to find quadratic numbers in Z3 for a specific mathematical problem or application. Z3 and quadratic numbers have various uses in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science.

5. Are there any practical applications for finding quadratic numbers in Z3?

Yes, there are several practical applications for finding quadratic numbers in Z3. As mentioned before, Z3 and quadratic numbers have uses in fields such as cryptography and coding theory. They can also be used in error-correcting codes and in creating random number generators.