Best introductory book to senior algebra

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is looking for recommendations on introductory algebra books that cover topics such as 3-dimensional geometry, matrices, and proofs, in preparation for their first year of university. Several suggestions are given, including "Introduction to Modern Algebra" by John Kelley, "Proofs and Fundamentals" by Ethan D. Bloch, and "Abstract Algebra" by Abraham P. Hillman and Gerald L. Alexanderson. The person also recommends checking out their university's math department website for additional resources.
Mark
Hello everyone, I'm a bit of beginner to the more complicated algebra and geometry. I am going into grade 12 next september, but I'd like to get a headstart on the material, and I am wondering what introductory "advanced" (for say) Algebra books were of benifet to you. A first year university book will be fine, as long as it introduces the following things

• 3-dimensional geometry/graphing
  • Matrices? (are matrices teh plural version of matrix's? - that's what i need - matrix's AHH that sounds so bad..)
  • Proofs (inductive / deductive)
  • etc. anything that a first year algebra/geometry course discusses

Any ideas, or books would be appreciated greatly..

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is one that is probably available in a public library near you:

http://store.doverpublications.com/0486663418.html
Click on the Table of contents hypertext at that site to see the topics in it.

It will actually keep you challenged well into your college years--unless you are another Matt Grime type. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I suggest Introduction to modern algebra by john kelley, available used on abebooks.com for $10. it was the official text for "continental classroom" in the 1960's a tv class taught at 7 am on television.

can you believe the us once had an abstract algebra class on tv for free? that is what camelot was like before kennedy was killed.

1. What is senior algebra?

Senior algebra is a branch of mathematics that builds upon basic algebra concepts and introduces more complex topics such as matrices, vectors, and systems of equations. It is typically taught in high school or at the introductory level in college.

2. Why is it important to have a good introductory book for senior algebra?

A good introductory book can provide a solid foundation for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques. It can also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are necessary for success in higher level math courses.

3. What should I look for in a good introductory book for senior algebra?

A good introductory book should have clear and concise explanations of key concepts, plenty of examples and practice problems, and a variety of problem-solving strategies. It should also be well-organized and easy to navigate.

4. Are there any specific recommendations for the best introductory book to senior algebra?

There are many good introductory books for senior algebra, so it ultimately depends on your personal learning style and preferences. Some popular options include "Algebra: Structure and Method" by Richard G. Brown and "Algebra and Trigonometry" by Ron Larson and Robert P. Hostetler.

5. Can I use online resources as an alternative to an introductory book for senior algebra?

While online resources can be helpful supplements, a comprehensive introductory book is still recommended for a thorough understanding of senior algebra. Books offer a structured and sequential approach to learning, as well as a variety of practice problems and exercises.