Severe Fourier Help: Solve Problems by Monday

• Thread starter BustedBreaks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary, the conversation discusses various problems related to computing the discrete Fourier transform of a complex vector, including defining operators and determining the number of times the rfft function is called and the depth of recursion needed. The conversation also touches on recovering functions from samples and determining the Fourier series of specific functions. It concludes with a discussion on a sequence of functions and finding the limit of one of the functions as n approaches infinity.
BustedBreaks
Okay so I have the following problems to figure out by Monday morning. I'm very behind so I am going to spend some time trying to work them out on my own tonight and tomorrow so don't think I am asking for the specific answers, but I thought I would post this here so when I have some trouble figuring out a problem I can refer to which one and which part quickly. I thank you for all of your help in advance!

1) In this exercise you will analyze a recursive algorithm for computing the discrete Fourier transform of a complex vector [tex] f:=(f_{0}, f_{1},...,f_{N-1} [/tex] when [tex]N = 2^{m}[/tex] = 0,1, ... . We define

[tex]even (f_{0}, f_{1},...,f_{N-1} := (f_{0}, f_{2}, f_{4}...,f_{N-2})[/tex]
[tex]odd (f_{0}, f_{1},...,f_{N-1} := (f_{1}, f_{3}, f_{5}...,f_{N-1})[/tex]
[tex]two (f_{0}, f_{1},...,f_{N-1} := \frac{1}{2} (f_{0}, f_{1},...,f_{N-1},f_{0}, f_{1},...,f_{N-1})[/tex]
[tex]mod (f_{0}, f_{1},...,f_{N-1}):= (f_{0},\omega f_{1},...,\omega^{N-1},f_{N-1}), \omega :=e^{\frac{2\pi i}{N}}
[/tex]

We use these mappings to define [tex]rfft[/tex] recursively by writing:

If N = 1, then
[tex]rfft(f):=f[/tex]
else
[tex]rfft(f):=mod(two(rfft(odd(f))))+(two(rfft(even(f))).[/tex]

(a) Write down the operator identity that underlies this computation of f^ =rfft(f).
Hint. Examine Figs 6.1, 6.2, 6.7, and observe that the macros two, mod are based on the repeat and exponential modulation operators.

(b) How many times will rfft be "called" in the process of computing the DFT of a vector [tex]N = 2^{m}[/tex] components?

(c) How many simultaneously active copies of rfft must be used during the computation of (b), i.e., how deep is the recursion?

2) Let [tex]f_{k}[/tex] be [tex]\sigma _{k}[/tex]-bandlimited, k =1,2,...,K. How must T>0 be chosen to ensure that we can recover [tex]f[/tex] from the samples [tex]f(nT), n=0,\pm 1,\pm 2, ...[/tex] when

(a) [tex] f:=f_{1}\cdot f_{2}\cdot ... \cdot f_{K}?[/tex]

(b) [tex] f:=f_{1}\ast f_{2}\ast ... \ast f_{K}?[/tex]

Note: An additional regularity is needed to ensure that the convolution product is well defined, e.g., you may assume that [tex]F_{1}, F_{2}, ... , F_{K}[/tex] are piecewise smooth ordinary functions on R.

3) Let f,g be [tex]\sigma[/tex] -bandlimited functions with G, G', G'', ... being continuous. Let T>0 and assume that [tex]0<2\sigma T<1.[/tex] Show that

[tex](g\ast f)(t) = \sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty} Tf(nT)g(t-nT).[/tex]

4) Write down the Fourier series of f(x) = x2, consider as a 2−periodic function in the interval [−1,1). Plot both f and the Kth partial sum of its Fourier series for k = 1,2,5,7. Plot the same graphs over the interval [−2, 2).

5) Repeat problem 2) with the 2−periodic function f defined by f(x) = 1 for x ∈ (−1/2,1/2], and f(x) = 0 if x ∈ (−1,−1/2] ∪ (1/2,1]. Plot both f and the Kth partial sum of its Fourier series with K = 5, 10, 20, 40. Observe how slow the convergence is in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
6) Consider a sequence of functions f_{n} defined on [0,2\pi] which are f_{n}(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} + \frac{1}{2n}\cos (nx) + \frac{1}{2n}\sin (nx). Find the value of the limit lim_{n\to\infty}f_{n}(x).

1. What is "Severe Fourier Help: Solve Problems by Monday"?

"Severe Fourier Help: Solve Problems by Monday" is a program designed to assist individuals in solving complex problems using Fourier analysis. It provides step-by-step instructions and tools to help users understand and apply Fourier analysis to various scientific and engineering problems.

2. Who can benefit from using "Severe Fourier Help: Solve Problems by Monday"?

Anyone who is interested in learning about Fourier analysis or needs to solve problems using Fourier analysis can benefit from this program. This includes students, researchers, scientists, and engineers who work in fields such as mathematics, physics, signal processing, and more.

3. What makes "Severe Fourier Help: Solve Problems by Monday" different from other programs?

This program is unique because it focuses specifically on using Fourier analysis to solve problems. It provides clear explanations, interactive tools, and practice problems to help users understand and apply this mathematical technique effectively.

4. Do I need to be an expert in Fourier analysis to use this program?

No, you do not need to be an expert in Fourier analysis to use this program. The program is designed for users with various levels of knowledge in this subject. It starts with the basics and gradually progresses to more advanced techniques, making it suitable for beginners and experienced users alike.

5. How can I access "Severe Fourier Help: Solve Problems by Monday"?

The program is available online and can be accessed from any device with an internet connection. Users can purchase a subscription or access it through their institution if it has a subscription. There is also a free trial available for users to try out the program before subscribing.