Angular Momentum Conservation for Projectile-Rod Collision | Homework Solution

In summary, the projectile has a moment of inertia of 3.51 kg*rad/s. The final angular speed is 12.76 rad/s.
jdboucher

Homework Statement

A projectile of mass m = 1.49 kg moves to
the right with speed v0 = 19.6 m/s. The pro-
jectile strikes and sticks to the end of a sta-
tionary rod of mass M = 6.55 kg and length
d = 2.29 m that is pivoted about a frictionless
axle through its center.
Find the angular speed of the system right
after the collision.
Answer in units of rad/s.

Homework Equations

Icom rod = (1/12)ML^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

I figured I would use conservation of angular momentum to determine the final angular speed. I'm unsure how to find the initial angular momentum. I can find the final moment of inertia.

(1/12)(1.49 + 6.55)(2.29)^2 = 3.51

HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think viewing it from an energy perspective will be easier.

Winzer said:
I think viewing it from an energy perspective will be easier.

Does translational (i think that's what its called) kinetic energy relate to rotational kinetic energy?

jdboucher said:
Does translational (i think that's what its called) kinetic energy relate to rotational kinetic energy?
What happens in the problem? The energy gets converted from ____ to _____.
It comes from the conversion of motion. From Linear to Rotational right?

Winzer said:

Is it kinetic to potential?

Winzer said:

so can I do this:

0.5mv^2 = Iw

jdboucher said:
Is it kinetic to potential?
I was looking for the energy gets converted from linear kinetic to rotational energy, right?
Use conservation of energy:
[tex] KE_{Linear}=KE_{Rotational}[/tex]

jdboucher said:
so can I do this:

0.5mv^2 = Iw
It should be :
[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}I \omega^2 [/tex]

Winzer said:
It should be :
[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}I \omega^2 [/tex]

0.5(1.49)(19.6)^2 = 0.5(1/12)(1.49+6.55)(2.29)^2w^2

I solved this and got w = 12.76

The answer is wrong though. I checked my work. Did I do something wrong?

The two bodies stick together, so this is an inelastic collision. Kinetic energy isn't conserved. You have to use angular momentum.

Remember [itex]\vec{L}=\vec{r}\times\vec{p}[/itex].

vela said:
The two bodies stick together, so this is an inelastic collision. Kinetic energy isn't conserved. You have to use angular momentum.

Remember [itex]\vec{L}=\vec{r}\times\vec{p}[/itex].

So then I need to determine r. Is that d/2?

Yes, r would be d/2. It's the distance to the pivot point.

danielatha4 said:
Yes, r would be d/2. It's the distance to the pivot point.

I assume the angle is 90. So L = mvrsin90. If I do that, set it equal to Iw, I get that w= 9.52. According to the online site I'm using that's wrong. Is it my angle?

Your [itex]I_{final}[/itex] is wrong.

vela said:
Your [itex]I_{final}[/itex] is wrong.

Ifinal = (1/12)ML^2 = (1/12)(1.49 + 6.55)(2.29)^2

Ifinal = 3.51

Is that wrong?

Yes, it's wrong. That would be the moment of inertia for a uniform rod of mass 8.04 kg. You have a total mass of 8.04 kg, but it's not distributed as a uniform rod.

vela said:
Yes, it's wrong. That would be the moment of inertia for a uniform rod of mass 8.04 kg. You have a total mass of 8.04 kg, but it's not distributed as a uniform rod.

(1/12)(6.55+1.49)(2.29)^2 + (1.49)(2.29/2)^2 = 6.12

Its wrong again. Am I not supposed to use the parallel axis theorm?

jdboucher said:
(1/12)(6.55+1.49)(2.29)^2 + (1.49)(2.29/2)^2 = 6.12

Its wrong again. Am I not supposed to use the parallel axis theorm?

I mean that I assumed the bullet was a point and used mr^2 to solve for its moment of inertia. Thats wrong obviously

No, the parallel axis theorem let's you calculate the moment of inertia of an object when it's rotating about an axis that doesn't go through its center of mass, like if you were rotating the rod by its end rather than through its center. That's not the case here, so the theorem doesn't apply.

In this problem, the total rotational mass is simply that of the rod (by itself) plus that of the projectile. You have the formula for the rod; just make sure you use the mass of the rod alone since the projectile isn't part of the rod. The projectile is a point mass at a distance [itex]r[/itex] from the rotation axis. Its rotational mass is given by [itex]mr^2[/itex], where [itex]m[/itex] is the mass.

jdboucher said:
I mean that I assumed the bullet was a point and used mr^2 to solve for its moment of inertia. That's wrong obviously.
No, that's right. You just plugged the wrong mass in for the rod.

vela said:
No, that's right. You just plugged the wrong mass in for the rod.

Yes you're right. Silly me. I got it now. Thank you for your help.

What is Angular Momentum Conservation for Projectile-Rod Collision?

Angular Momentum Conservation for Projectile-Rod Collision is a principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torque or forces. In other words, the total angular momentum of a system before and after a collision between a projectile and a rod will be the same.

Why is Angular Momentum Conservation important in this scenario?

Angular Momentum Conservation is important in this scenario because it helps us understand and predict the outcomes of collisions between a projectile and a rod. It allows us to calculate the final velocity and direction of the objects after the collision, which is crucial for many real-world applications.

What are the factors that affect Angular Momentum Conservation in this scenario?

The factors that affect Angular Momentum Conservation in this scenario include the mass and velocity of the projectile and rod, the distance between the two objects, and the angle at which the collision occurs. The conservation of angular momentum may also be affected by external forces such as friction or air resistance.

Can Angular Momentum be conserved if the collision is not perfectly elastic?

Yes, Angular Momentum can still be conserved even if the collision between the projectile and rod is not perfectly elastic. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy of the system is converted into other forms of energy, but the total angular momentum remains constant.

How is Angular Momentum Conservation applied in real-life situations?

Angular Momentum Conservation is applied in many real-life situations, such as in sports like billiards or golf, where the collision between a moving object and a stationary object can be analyzed using this principle. It is also used in engineering and mechanics to calculate the outcomes of collisions between moving objects.