Break beam IR emitter and detector

In summary, you want a detector that can be used to detect if a beam of light is blocked. You need a frequency that the detector can detect, and you can find that frequency by looking for a chip that is specifically made for this purpose. There are many different chips for this, and most TV receivers would have one.
Asok
I need a list(data numbers) of short range IR emitter and detector(not very expensive) which can be used as a break beam sensor.. I also like to know what is the specific IC number which is used to tune the IR emitter's frequency which matches with the detectors receiving frequency. I have heard that the frequency is something like 38KHz.. If you guys can also give me a link to the circuit diagrams which I have to use for this, it will be a great help... :-)

Engineering news on Phys.org
So you need a detector that detects if a beam of light is blocked? Why on Earth would you need to run it at some frequency. You take a stupid IR diode that cannot be tuned and anything like a photo diode, photo transistor or photo resistor and that is it.
There is hundreds of these things and no one will make you a list.

0xDEADBEEF said:
So you need a detector that detects if a beam of light is blocked? Why on Earth would you need to run it at some frequency. You take a stupid IR diode that cannot be tuned and anything like a photo diode, photo transistor or photo resistor and that is it.
There is hundreds of these things and no one will make you a list.

The problem is ambient light. If there is other light present, the simple LED to phototransistor setup will not work very well.

Pulsing the light from the LED allows you to filter out the steady light level and detect only the pulsing component of it. You can then use a lot of amplification of only this component.

38 KHz is commonly used as a pulsing frequency and there are receiver chips available for doing this.
They have a small lens on one surface and there is a filtering and amplifying circuit in the chip. Most TV receivers would have one of these for receiving the remote control.

They are available at large electronics stores.

You have to arrange the 38 KHz transmit frequency yourself but a 555 with an amplifier can be used for this.

hey guys... thank U so much... I was thinking of designing a device for measuring speed and distance of a foot cycle... Now I have nice begining... if you have any suggestions please post...

It would probably be better to use a Hall probe sensor switch with a rotating magnet on one of the bicycle wheels. This is easier than arranging light sources on a bicycle.

I have seen cheap "bike computers" intended for doing this. They sell in cycle shops for about $10 and feature a nice LCD display with various functions like speed and distance, lap times etc.

maybe you are right about hall probe sensors... I just had that idea of break beam sensors, because we had a robot competition recently in our university... and we used some break beam sensors plus some other sensors for the robot...our group got the second place... anyway i searched hall probe sensors in the local market(Sri lanka), but in here I couldn't find it... then I searched for its mechanical structure, but that was little too advance to construct... but your idea was brilliant on hall probe sensors, and I should work on it more and more, thank you and I'm waiting for your suggestions...

What is a break beam IR emitter and detector?

A break beam IR emitter and detector is a type of sensor that uses infrared light to detect when an object has passed between the emitter and detector, breaking the beam of light.

How does a break beam IR emitter and detector work?

The emitter sends out a beam of infrared light, and the detector measures the amount of light that is reflected back. When an object passes between the two, it interrupts the beam and causes a change in the amount of light detected, triggering the sensor.

What are the applications of break beam IR emitter and detector?

Break beam IR emitter and detectors are commonly used in security systems, automatic doors, and motion-activated lighting. They are also used in industrial settings for detecting objects on assembly lines or in automated machinery.

What are the advantages of using a break beam IR emitter and detector?

One advantage is that they are less affected by ambient light compared to other types of sensors. They are also reliable and have a longer lifespan than other types of sensors. Additionally, they can cover larger distances and are not affected by dust or other environmental factors.

Are there any limitations to using a break beam IR emitter and detector?

One limitation is that they can be triggered by small objects, such as insects or dust, passing through the beam. They also require precise alignment between the emitter and detector, which can be difficult in certain environments. Additionally, they may not work well in extreme temperatures or in environments with high levels of moisture.