Moment of inertia calculation, factor of radius out?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pulley with two forces acting on it, one being 18.2N and the other being 7.5N. The acceleration is given as 3.75 meters per second squared and the goal is to find the moment of inertia. The conversation also talks about the equations involved, particularly the change in torque equation and the attempt at a solution. The final part of the conversation involves a discussion about the angular acceleration and how it relates to the linear acceleration.
PhyStan7

Homework Statement

Ok i have the following problem. There is a pulley with radius 7.5 cm and 2 forces acting on it (2 tensions of a string) acting in opposite directions either side. One is 18.2N, the other 7.5N. I know the acceleration is 3.75 meteres per second squared.

Find the moment of inertia.

Homework Equations

Change in torque = Ia

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so the torque of each individual force is r x F (F being the force and r the radius in meters). As the forces are acting perpendicular, the torque of each force is rF.

So i thought the total torque is τ = r(18.2-7.5) = Ia.

So i thought the moment of inertia would equal would equal...

I = [r(18.2-7.5)]/a

However my answer seems to be a factor of r out, i.e the equation [(r^2)(18.2-7.5)]/a sems to yield the correct answer.

Why is this? I do not undersdtand where the extra r comes from which it is multiplied by.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
PhyStan7 said:
1. Th

Homework Equations

Change in torque = Ia

What is a?

ehild

Sorry a is acceleration

Is it perhaps that the forces are implemented in this way? (picture added)

Because then you would have to add the tensions on the pulley, meaning it's going to be:

[itex]t_1+t_2 = a I <=> F_1 R + F_2 R = R (F_1+F_2) = I a[/itex], then check if the result is correct.

Attachments

• tensions.bmp
    29.3 KB · Views: 480
Actually, I just noticed. You do have the acceleration of the points where the forces are applied on the string, because the units are meters/second*second. That means that the pulley is actually turning with a rotational acceleration [itex]a_{rotation} = \frac{a}{R}[/itex]. If you substitute that in the second law for rotational motion you will get the result you want.

Ah i think i understand. So the a in the Ia part of the equation refers to angular acceleration but what i had was the linar acceleration (the situation is one weight hanging off a table and the other being pulled along the table, both are moving with acceleration 3.75). I still do not really understand how dividing by the radius gives the angular acceleration though.

Thanks

PhyStan7 said:
Ah i think i understand. So the a in the Ia part of the equation refers to angular acceleration but what i had was the linar acceleration (the situation is one weight hanging off a table and the other being pulled along the table, both are moving with acceleration 3.75). I still do not really understand how dividing by the radius gives the angular acceleration though.

Thanks

Yes exactly. The following [itex]a_{center-mass}=a_{angular}*R [/itex] belongs to the theory of my school Physics book. In this situation, you can proove something like it since the string isn't sliding on the pulley. The proof is the following:

Consider a small change of the angle during the angular motion of the pullet [itex]d\theta[/itex]. The string has moved a distance [itex]ds[/itex] and since [itex]s=\theta R[/itex] we have [itex]ds=d(\theta R)=R d\theta[/itex]

By definition, we have [itex]\omega=\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex] and [itex]u=\frac{ds}{dt}[/itex],so

[itex]\frac{ds}{dt}=\frac{d\theta}{dt} R \Leftrightarrow a = a_{angular} R[/itex] by differentiating.

I hope I've done everything right :)

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It takes into account both the mass and distribution of mass around an object's axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia can be calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This calculation can become more complex for irregularly shaped objects, but can be simplified using calculus for continuous distributions of mass.

Why is the factor of radius important in moment of inertia calculation?

The factor of radius, also known as the radius of gyration, is a measure of how far an object's mass is distributed from its axis of rotation. It is important in moment of inertia calculation because it affects the object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. Objects with a larger factor of radius will have a larger moment of inertia and will be more difficult to rotate.

How does the distribution of mass affect moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass around an object's axis of rotation has a significant impact on its moment of inertia. Objects with more mass concentrated near the axis of rotation will have a smaller moment of inertia, making them easier to rotate. On the other hand, objects with mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia, making them more difficult to rotate.

What is the significance of moment of inertia in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in many real-world applications, including engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to analyze the behavior of rotating objects, such as wheels, gears, and flywheels. Understanding moment of inertia is also crucial in designing structures and machines that are stable and efficient in their rotational motion.