Ive got a gravitational Potential Energy Question

In summary, the conversation is about a graph that shows the relationship between gravitational potential energy and distance from the center of the Earth. The questions involve examining the graph and calculating the change in potential energy for a specific scenario. The conversation also includes a discussion about the formula for gravitational potential energy and a correction for the labeling of the graph.
clearlyjunk
HEre is the page! http://img190.imageshack.us/i/backofgravitationalpote.jpg/

Homework Statement

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/backofgravitationalpote.jpg/
Qeustions at that pg

1.Examine teh graph

2.Calculate the change in potential of a 25 kg mass which is placed into orbit 520 km above the surface of teh earth.

Homework Equations

1.Please explain teh graph!
2.What the fudge is going on with the eg1 and eg2

The Attempt at a Solution

My friend did the solution and passed a copy of his sheet to me. I don't understand why stuff is happening.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for gravitational potential energy is [tex] U = \frac{-GMm}{r} [/tex]. The graph is just U vs. r so [tex] U = \frac{-A}{r} [/tex] where A = GMm and r goes from 0 to infinity (the smallest physical value of r is 0). Also, in the graph r1 should correspond to E1 and r2 should correspond to E2 so the graph is labeled wrong.

Last edited:

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential energy that an object has to do work as a result of its vertical position or height.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of an object?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is affected by its mass, the strength of the gravitational field, and its height or distance from the source of the gravitational field.

4. How does gravitational potential energy change with respect to height?

As an object's height increases, its gravitational potential energy also increases. This is because the higher an object is, the greater its potential to do work due to the force of gravity.

5. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of mechanical energy that can be converted into each other. As an object falls, its gravitational potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. At the bottom of its fall, all of the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.