Variation of Internal Temperature with external temperature in a sphere

In summary, the conversation involves placing a temperature sensor in a hollow area and insulating the outer surface with plaster of paris. The objective is to determine the temperature variation inside as the external temperature increases due to a fire. The answer was ultimately found using the transient heat conduction equation.
princesvpk
http://www.cdeep.iitb.ac.in/nptel/Mechanical/Heat%20and%20Mass%20Transfer/Conduction/Module%202/main/2.6.3.html"

Kindly see the above link

I will be placing a temperature sensor in the hollow area and insulate the outer surface(with let's say Plaster of paris)...I will place a fire outside...I need to know how the temperature varies inside...i.e Ts,2 Vs Ts,1...{in matlab}ill give Ts,2 as the input...i need to plot Ts,2 Vs Ts,1...but the problem is that Q also varies...so how do i find out the temperature variation inside as the external temperature increases...

Thank you for your time...kindly help

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
So are you asking for an equation that will tell you the inside surface temperature based on what the outside temperature is at steady state?

Thank you for the time...i found out the answer with transient heat conduction equation...

1. What is the relationship between internal temperature and external temperature in a sphere?

The relationship between internal temperature and external temperature in a sphere is that the internal temperature will vary with changes in the external temperature. This is because heat is transferred from the external environment to the internal environment, causing the temperature to change.

2. How does the size of the sphere affect the variation of internal temperature with external temperature?

The size of the sphere can affect the variation of internal temperature with external temperature. A larger sphere will have a larger surface area, allowing for more heat to be transferred from the external environment to the internal environment. This can result in a greater variation of internal temperature with external temperature.

3. What factors besides size can influence the variation of internal temperature with external temperature in a sphere?

Besides size, other factors that can influence the variation of internal temperature with external temperature in a sphere include the material of the sphere, the presence of insulation, and the rate of heat transfer. Materials with higher thermal conductivity will transfer heat more easily, resulting in a greater variation of internal temperature. Insulation can also affect the rate of heat transfer and therefore impact the variation of internal temperature.

4. Can the variation of internal temperature with external temperature in a sphere be predicted?

While the variation of internal temperature with external temperature in a sphere can be modeled and predicted, it is also influenced by external factors such as environmental conditions and heat sources. Therefore, the exact variation cannot always be accurately predicted.

5. How can the knowledge of variation of internal temperature with external temperature in a sphere be useful?

The knowledge of variation of internal temperature with external temperature in a sphere can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and environmental science. It can help in designing efficient heating and cooling systems, understanding heat transfer processes, and predicting temperature changes in natural systems. This knowledge can also aid in making informed decisions related to energy consumption and conservation.