Electric field around a wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the electric field around an infinitely long wire with even charge distribution and how it can be expressed using the formula E=\frac{1}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{\lambda}{r}. The conversation also touches on the derivation of this formula and provides a resource for further understanding.
Uku

Homework Statement

I know that around an infinitely long wire with even charge distribution the electric field is expressed as:

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{\lambda}{r}[/tex] (1)

Where [tex]\lambda[/tex] can be expressed as [tex]\lambda=\frac{dq}{dl}[/tex]

Right, but I want to know where I get this formula from, I mean the E field.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that in general:

[tex]E=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int\frac{\rho}{r^{2}}\widehat{r}dV[/tex]

In my case I don't have volume, I have a thread. I can also forget about the unit vector, since the field is radially pointed outward. The charge is evenly distributed so I can write:

[tex]E=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\lambda\int\frac{1}{r^{2}}dL[/tex]

Okay, but now... I can integrate the expression from minus infinity to infinity, but how do I get to that formula (1)

Physics news on Phys.org
Uku said:
Okay, but now... I can integrate the expression from minus infinity to infinity, but how do I get to that formula (1)

You can find a number of sites that work this out for you. A google search, or even a search here at PF will give you many looks at this problem. Here is one, for example.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elelin.html

1. What is an electric field around a wire?

The electric field around a wire is the region in space where the electric force is exerted on charged particles due to the presence of the wire. The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the electric force, which is perpendicular to the wire's surface.

2. How is the electric field around a wire calculated?

The electric field around a wire can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

3. Does the electric field around a wire have a specific direction?

Yes, the electric field around a wire has a specific direction, which is perpendicular to the wire's surface. This means that the electric field lines around a wire will always point away from the wire and form a circular pattern.

4. How does the electric field around a wire affect nearby charged particles?

The electric field around a wire will exert a force on nearby charged particles, causing them to either be attracted or repelled depending on the direction of the electric field. This force can cause the particles to move in a certain direction or accelerate.

5. How does the electric field around a wire change with distance?

The electric field around a wire follows an inverse relationship with distance. This means that as the distance from the wire increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. This can be seen in the equation E = kQ/r, where the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.