No uncertainty principle for scalar particles?

In summary, the Higgs boson, as a spin-0 particle, is still subject to uncertainty principles in quantum theories. The theory of a single spin-0 particle, as taught in introductory courses, includes uncertainty relations for position and momentum. The particle's behavior as a wave is not dependent on its spin, and the Klein-Gordon equation is not a suitable explanation for the wave-like behavior of quantum fields. The modern approach to relativistic quantum mechanics involves a lot of mathematics and the Schrödinger equation, rather than the Klein-Gordon equation. The idea that a particle's wave aspect is connected to its spin is incorrect.
scope
hi,

I do wonder if the Higgs boson is a quantum object because since it is the (only) particle with spin 0, then it should not behave like a wave(since the wave aspect is connected to the fact that it is spinning) and therefore not experience the uncertainty principle.

Or am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is wrong. The uncertainty relations hold in all quantum theories, because they all use non-commuting operators to represent observables.

The quantum theory that's taught in all the introductory courses on quantum mechanics is the theory of a single spin-0 particle that interacts with the rest of the world only via a potential. If you have taken such a course, you may recall that the uncertainty relation for position and momentum is derived from the commutator [x,p]=i. Other properties of the particle don't enter into it.

I posted a proof of the uncertainty theorem here.

but this has never been observed. the non commutating relations can be explained because of the Fourrier transforms, because it would behave as a wave. but if that particle does not behave like a wave(because of spin 0) then there is no uncertainty. What can be the cause of the wave behavior if the particle does not spin?

First of all, even particles with spin do not spin in the classical sense. Second, as I said, the theory you seem to be somewhat familiar with (since you mention Fourier transforms) is the quantum theory of a single spin-0 particle. Are you saying that you think that theory (the theory of wavefunctions, the Schrödinger equation, etc.) doesn't include any wave-like behavior?

I don't know what you're referring to when you say that it "has never been observed".

thank you,
elementary spin-0 =scalar fields have not never been observed so far (the Higgs boson would be the first particle), that's why I do wonder if its quantum nature will be the same, that's what i meant. spin -0 particles do not follow the Schrödinger equation but rather the Klein Gordon equation, but there are many theoretical problems with it(total probability for example), or i am wrong?

It doesn't matter if there are any elementary particles with spin 0. The point is that all quantum theories involve a non-commutative algebra of operators. You can even take that as the definition of a quantum theory. And where there are operators that don't commute, there's an uncertainty relation.

The problems you're referring to are only problems if you try to interpret the Klein-Gordon field as a wavefunction. That was just one of the first approaches to relativistic QM that was attempted, and quickly dismissed, for this very reason. The modern approach can't be explained without a lot of mathematics. (Representation theory of groups, etc.) The Klein-Gordon equation is satisfied by quantum fields, not by state vectors. The time evolution of the state vectors is described by the Schrödinger equation in the relativistic case too (but the Hamiltonian that appears in it can't be expressed as p2/2m+V).

I would ask the OP where he got the idea he wrote in the brackets: "since the wave aspect is connected to the fact that it is spinning". It's interesting to know this part as well.

1. What is the uncertainty principle for scalar particles?

The uncertainty principle for scalar particles, also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the wave-like behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. Why is there no uncertainty principle for scalar particles?

Unlike other particles such as electrons, scalar particles do not have a wave-like nature and therefore do not follow the principles of quantum mechanics. As a result, there is no uncertainty principle for scalar particles.

3. What is the significance of the uncertainty principle for scalar particles?

The uncertainty principle for scalar particles has significant implications in quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as MRI machines.

4. Can uncertainty still exist for scalar particles?

While there is no uncertainty principle for scalar particles, there can still be uncertainty in measuring other properties of these particles such as their spin or energy. However, this uncertainty is not related to the position and momentum of the particle.

5. Are there any exceptions to the uncertainty principle for scalar particles?

No, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that applies to all particles and cannot be violated. It is a fundamental aspect of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.