Calculus: Rates of Change of Cone: height and radius

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rate at which the water level and radius are changing in an inverted circular cone water tank with given dimensions and a constant rate of water being pumped in. The final solution involves finding the derivative of the volume formula and plugging in the values for the given variables. The correct value for the radius should be r=3/2 instead of 2.
ilovemynny

Homework Statement

A water tank the shape of an inverted circular cone with a base radius of 2m and height of 4m. if water is being pumped into the tank at a rate of 2m^3/min, find the rate at which the water level is rising when the water is 3m deep.

dv/dt = 2m^3/min
h = 3m
r = h/2

I know how to find dh/dt and the answer is dh/dt = 8/9pi m/min

but the next part asks for the rate of change of the radius (dr/dt) at that moment (when h = 3m) and i don't know how to get get this

Homework Equations

V = (pi/3)(r^2)h

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking that i would find the derivative of the volume formula so:
V = (pi/3) * r^2 * h

dV/dt = (pi/3) * [r^2 * (dh/dt) + 2rh * (dr/dt)]

and plug in the values:
2m^3/min = (pi/3) * [2^2 * (8/9pi m/min) + 2(2)(3) * (dr/dt)]
and find dr/dt from there
is this right or am i completely wrong?
if i am wrong can someone please help me? I don't know if I'm even using the right variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
you should write volume in terms of "r"
V=1/3{(pi)r^2}*rcot(theta)
where
cot(theta)=4/2.
find dV/dt @ r=h/2.
About your answer, The expression you derived is absolutely correct but the value of "r" you put in your final answer is wrong.You should put r=3/2 instead of 2.

1. What is the formula for finding the rate of change of a cone's height?

The formula for finding the rate of change of a cone's height is given by h'(t) = (πr^2)/(2√(h^2+r^2)) * dh/dt, where h' represents the rate of change of height, r is the radius of the cone, and h is the height of the cone. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and the volume formula for a cone.

2. Can the rate of change of a cone's height be negative?

Yes, the rate of change of a cone's height can be negative. This indicates that the height of the cone is decreasing over time. For example, if a cone is being filled with water, the height of the water will decrease as the cone fills up, resulting in a negative rate of change of height.

3. How does the rate of change of a cone's radius affect its height?

The rate of change of a cone's radius does not directly affect its height. However, if the radius is changing, the rate of change of height will also be affected. This is because the height of a cone is dependent on its radius, as seen in the formula for finding the rate of change of height.

4. Can the rate of change of a cone's height be constant?

Yes, the rate of change of a cone's height can be constant. This means that the height is changing at a steady rate over time. An example of this could be a cone being filled with water at a constant rate, resulting in a constant rate of change of height.

5. How is calculus used to find the rate of change of a cone's height and radius?

Calculus is used to find the rate of change of a cone's height and radius by using derivatives. Derivatives allow us to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point, which in this case is the height or radius of the cone. By using the derivative formula for a cone's height and radius, we can calculate the rate of change at any given point in time.