Resoance states and quark annihilation

In summary, the speaker is discussing possible interactions between K mesons and ordinary matter, specifically looking at cases where a bar over a letter (representing an anti-quark) is present. They question why a u and U are preferred in some interactions and also consider the possibility of a resonance particle and annihilation occurring at the right center of mass energy. The speaker concludes by stating that all interactions are possible, but with different probabilities depending on the energy.
Master J
I've been looking at interactions between K mesons and "ordinary" matter such as protons and neutrons.
Since I can't put a bar over a letter, I'll let a CAPITAL letter stand for an ANTI-quark.

sD + duu ---> suu + uU (thru a resonance baryon suu ++) I know this one is possible, but what about the following?

sD + duu ---> duu + sD here the d and D annhilate and give a d D again. Why would a u and U be prefered? Because they are lighter? At high energy, would we get a d D as above?

Again, I know this one happens:

sU + udu ---> sdd + uD (virtual n exchange)

what about a resonance state at the right centre of mass energy (CME) (resonance particle being sdu)?

I guess my question is...CAN a resonance particle, and thus annihilation occur once we have the right CME? And when we are away from the CME different possible interactions can occur?

Are such interactions possible? I don't see why not...I'd guess they all are, yet with different branching fractions.

Physics news on Phys.org
In physics, anything that can happen, does happen, so your last statement is correct. A resonance will occur at the resonance energy, but this can be a broad range of energies due to the width of the resonance.

1. What are resonance states?

Resonance states are unstable subatomic particles that are formed during high-energy collisions between particles. They have a very short lifetime and quickly decay into other particles.

2. How is resonance state related to quark annihilation?

Resonance states are formed as a result of quark annihilation, which occurs when a quark and an antiquark collide and annihilate each other, releasing a large amount of energy. This energy can then be used to create a resonance state.

3. What is the significance of resonance states in particle physics?

Resonance states play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter. By studying their properties, scientists can gain insights into the behavior of quarks and the strong nuclear force that binds them together.

4. How are resonance states detected and measured?

Resonance states are detected using particle accelerators, which collide particles at high energies and then measure the resulting particles. The properties of resonance states, such as their mass and decay rate, can be measured by analyzing the particles produced in the collision.

5. Can resonance states be created in natural environments?

No, resonance states can only be created in high-energy environments, such as particle accelerators. In natural environments, the energy levels are not high enough to produce these unstable particles.