Prove Cauchy Sequence: {sn} from {tn}

In summary, we have a sequence {an}(n goes from 1 to infinity) and two defined sequences, sn and tn, based on this original sequence. The goal is to prove that if tn is a Cauchy sequence, then so is sn. Using the definition of a Cauchy sequence, we can pick an N large enough so that n,m>N makes |an - am| < epsolon. By manipulating the summation of tn and using the triangle inequality, we can show that |sn-sm| < epsolon, proving that sn is also a Cauchy sequence. Overall, this shows that the original sequence {an} and its defined sequences sn and tn are all related and follow the same pattern.
tink
Let {an}(n goes from 1 to infinity) be a sequence. For each n define:
sn=Summation(j=1 to n) of aj
tn=Summation(j=1 to n) of the absolute value of aj.

Prove that if
{tn}(n goes from 1 to infinity)
is a Cauchy sequence, then so is
{sn}(n goes from 1 to infinity).

I started this proof with the definition of a Cauchy sequence. Pick an N large enough so that n,m>N makes
|an - am| < epsolon.
So if tn is Cauchy, we have
|tn-tm| < epsolon.
tn-tm = summation|an|-summation|am| = |an|+|an-1|+...+|am+1|
so now
|an| + |an-1| +...+ |am+1| < epsolon
but
|an + an-1 + ... + am+1| < |an|+|an-1|+...+|am+1|
by triangle inequality.
so now
|an + an-1 +...+ am+1| < epsolon
but
|an + an-1 + ... + am+1| = |sn - sm|
so now
|sn-sm| < epsolon, and therefore Cauchy.

Can anybody tell me if this makes sence? Or at least tell me how to write out "summation from n=1 to infinity" on here in symbols? Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a thread on [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] somewhere around here...
[tex]s_n=\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_i[/tex]

The proof looks ok too.

Thank you SOOO much!

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers where the terms get closer and closer as the sequence progresses. In other words, for any positive number ε, there exists a term in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are within ε distance from each other.

2. How do you prove that a sequence is Cauchy?

To prove that a sequence {sn} is Cauchy, we need to show that for any positive number ε, there exists a term N in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are within ε distance from each other. This can be done by using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and the properties of real numbers.

3. Why is it important to prove that a sequence is Cauchy?

Proving that a sequence is Cauchy is important because it guarantees the convergence of the sequence. In other words, if a sequence is Cauchy, then it will have a limit, and the terms of the sequence will get arbitrarily close to this limit as the sequence progresses.

4. Can you give an example of a Cauchy sequence?

One example of a Cauchy sequence is the sequence of decimal approximations of π, where each term is closer to the actual value of π than the previous term. This sequence converges to the real value of π and therefore, is a Cauchy sequence.

5. Are all convergent sequences Cauchy?

No, not all convergent sequences are Cauchy. A sequence can converge without being a Cauchy sequence if there is no guarantee that the terms will get closer and closer to each other as the sequence progresses. For example, the sequence {1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ...} converges to 0, but it is not a Cauchy sequence since the terms do not get closer to each other.