How can the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality be applied to L^2 functions in a book?

In summary, the author states that if f(x) and g(x) are two functions and f(x)>g(x), then |fg|_1<|f|_2<|g|_2.
Lajka
Hi,

Quick question here: I know that C-S inequality in general states that
[itex]|<x,y>| \leq \sqrt{<x,x>} \cdot \sqrt{<y,y>}[/itex]

and, in the case of [itex]L^2(a,b)[/itex]functions (or [itex]L^2(R)[/itex] functions, for that matter), this translates to
[itex]|\int^{b}_{a}f(x)g(x)dx| \leq \sqrt{\int^{b}_{a}|f(x)|^2dx} \cdot \sqrt{\int^{b}_{a}|g(x)|^2dx}[/itex]

What I don't understand is, in a book I read, it says
[itex]||fg||_1 \leq ||f||_2 \cdot ||g||_2[/itex]
which means
[itex]\int^{b}_{a}|f(x)g(x)|dx \leq \sqrt{\int^{b}_{a}|f(x)|^2dx} \cdot \sqrt{\int^{b}_{a}|g(x)|^2dx}[/itex]

I suppose that both of these correct, but I don't how to justify the transition from [itex]|\int^{b}_{a}f(x)g(x)dx|[/itex] to [itex]\int^{b}_{a}|f(x)g(x)|dx[/itex].
I suppose I should use the fact that
[itex]|\int^{b}_{a}f(x)g(x)dx| \leq \int^{b}_{a}|f(x)g(x)|dx[/itex]
but that can't be sufficient, e.g., if 2<5 and 2<17 doesn't mean that 5<17. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm just going to get greedy and pop-in another small question from the book I use
http://i.imgur.com/l4jD0.png
Can anybody explain to me why is this cleary true? (I hate it when they say it like that, I feel dumb)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Lajka.

I'm a little confused with statement:

∫ba|f(x)g(x)|dx≤∫ba|f(x)|2dx−−−−−−−−−√⋅∫ba|g(x)|2dx−−−−−−−−−√

I can't see the connection between the 1-norm of (f+g) and this integral.

One thing that pops to mind that if you need to find something about the bounds of norm of (f+g), that you should use the triangle inequality which will place bounds of (f+g) in terms (f) and (g) (norms).

Off the top of my head, I can't remember how various norms are linked in terms of inequalities, but I'm guessing that if you find some sort of inequality relationship that categorizes the 1-norm with the 2-norm in terms of an inequality, you could use the triangle inequality to establish that identity.

I'm sorry I can't help you any more than this though.

whoops, sorry about that plus, it was just a typo (i probably was thinking of minkowsky inequality at that moment), there should be multiplication in there, of course.

thanks for the response, in any case :D

Hi Lajka! :smile:

Why don't you try to apply C-S on <|f|,|g|>?
That should give you your inequality.

As for your pop-in question.
Try to write the integral as a sum of rectangles with width 1.
You should be able to see the inequality holds for each rectangle.
(Should I make a drawing? I like drawings! Or perhaps you will? :wink:)

Hey serena! :)

You must be my guardian angel on this forum or something. Anyway, the solution to the first question worked out flawlessly, and as for the second one, here's the picture! :D
NyfvB.png

I'm guessing you meant something like this, and it makes sense, so I guess that's that.

Thanks serena! :D

Yes, that's what I meant exactly! :)
Nice drawing!

See you next time. Don't be a stranger!

Okay, it's a deal :D
I got to think of a way to repay you for your help thus far :)

I have to admit that it was your drawings in previous threads that drew my attention - I liked them! :D
Since then I've been hovering around.
I hope you don't mind. :shy:

Haha, not at all, I'm flattered actually. :D

1. What is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is a mathematical inequality that relates the dot product of two vectors to their lengths. It states that for any two vectors a and b, the absolute value of their dot product is less than or equal to the product of their lengths. Mathematically, it can be written as |a · b| ≤ ||a|| ||b||, where ||a|| and ||b|| represent the lengths of vectors a and b, respectively.

2. Why is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality important?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is important because it has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in linear algebra, functional analysis, and optimization problems. It also plays a crucial role in the proof of the important mathematical concept of the triangle inequality.

3. How is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality related to other mathematical concepts?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is closely related to other important mathematical concepts such as the dot product, vector length, and orthogonality. It is also connected to other inequalities such as the triangle inequality and the Hölder's inequality.

4. How is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality used in real-life applications?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used in problems related to optimization, regression analysis, and signal processing. It is also utilized in the calculation of error bounds in scientific experiments and in the proof of various mathematical theorems.

5. Are there any generalizations of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

Yes, there are several generalizations of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, including the generalized Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, the Hölder's inequality, and the Minkowski inequality. These generalizations extend the concept of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to other mathematical spaces, such as matrices and functions, and have various applications in mathematics and other fields.