Large wave number region of difference method of diffusion

In summary, the difference between finite difference and spectral methods in the large wave number region is due to higher order terms being neglected in the finite difference equation. To remedy this issue, higher order finite difference schemes or filters can be used.
sanukisoba
Hi,
I am trying to do a simple numerical calculation of diffusion equation.
∂t u(x, t) = ∂x^2 u(x, t).

I could replicate a seemingly appropriate result (
1.png
).

However, I found the spectrum of the result is quite strange (
2.png
).
Since "∂x^2 u(x, t)" becomes "-k^2 uk" in Fourier space (uk is Fourier coefficient of u), the spectrum of large wave number region must be smaller.

To confirm it, I solved the same equation using spectral method.
d/dt uk = -k^2 uk.
Then I obtained the third figure (
3.png
) which seems appropriate.

I interpret such a difference between finite difference and spectral methods in large wave number region as following.

The finite difference equation is,
∂t u = [u(x+Δx) - 2u(x) + u(x-Δx)]/Δx^2.

If we substitute u(x) = uk exp(ikx), the above equation becomes
d/dt uk = uk [exp(ikΔx) + exp(-ikΔx) -2]/Δx^2 ≈ uk [-k^2 + O(k^4 Δx^2)].

Therefore, there remains O(k^4 Δx^2) difference with spectral method.
Even if Δx is small enough, the large k region have big error.

Now, could you tell me whether this interpretation is correct.
And I would like to know the remedy of this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.Yes, your interpretation is correct. The difference between finite difference and spectral methods in the large wave number region is due to the higher order terms that are neglected in the finite difference equation. To remedy this issue, you can use higher order finite difference schemes or you can use a filter to smooth out the high frequency components of the solution.

What is the Large Wave Number Region of Difference Method of Diffusion?

The Large Wave Number Region of Difference Method of Diffusion is a numerical technique used in computational fluid dynamics to solve diffusion equations in a discrete manner. It is particularly useful for problems with large diffusion coefficients or in regions with steep gradients.

How does the Large Wave Number Region of Difference Method of Diffusion work?

The method works by dividing the computational domain into smaller subdomains, and solving the diffusion equation iteratively in each subdomain. This allows for a more accurate solution in the large wave number region, where traditional methods may fail due to numerical instability.

What are the advantages of using the Large Wave Number Region of Difference Method of Diffusion?

One of the main advantages is its ability to accurately solve diffusion problems in regions with steep gradients and high diffusion coefficients. It also allows for a more efficient use of computational resources compared to other methods, as it only requires solving the diffusion equation in smaller subdomains.

Are there any limitations to the Large Wave Number Region of Difference Method of Diffusion?

One limitation is that it may not be suitable for problems with complex boundary conditions or geometries. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution may decrease if the subdomains are not chosen carefully, and the method may also be computationally expensive for problems with a large number of subdomains.

What are some real-world applications of the Large Wave Number Region of Difference Method of Diffusion?

This method has been successfully used in a variety of fields, including fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and chemical reactions. Some specific applications include predicting airflow around buildings, simulating heat transfer in electronic devices, and modeling chemical reactions in industrial processes.