How To Superimpose AC Signal Onto DC Line?

In summary: The Schumann effect is caused by lightning, however, my device is not specifically used for that purpose. My device is being used as an environmental experiment to re-establish the Schumann Earth resonance.
orgonefred
Hello all! First post!

I've built a 7.83 Hertz sine wave oscillator that is fed into a 1,000 wind coil (soft iron rod/bifilar windings/self cancelling) and have tested in out on my oscilliscope and it's working beautifully with a peak voltage of 5.8 VAC (4.1 RMS AC). This device is being used as an environmental experiment to re-establish the Schumann Earth resonance.
The one issue that I've been pondered about the Schumann Resonance is whether it is considered a AC sine wave (positive side alternating to negative side) or if it is more of a pulsing DC sine wave (fluxating amplitude, positive the entire time).
My device is a simple Wein-Bridge oscillator and I would like to take a 6 volt DC line and superimpose the oscillator on top of it. Theoretically getting a sine wave going in amplitude from .2V to 11.8V. I think this can be accomplished by simply using using a capacitor that acts as a wall for the AC to pass through whilst keeping the DC contained.
One thought I had was to simply use the same positive supply rail that powers the oscillator and run it through a voltage divider network with resistors (easy) in order to get the 6 volt signal. I then send take that 6 volts and met it up with a T point with the capacitor, and then on to the coil and ground.
I thought I would see if someone if familiar with this little 'trick'.

Thanx and Namaste,
Christopher

Engineering news on Phys.org
orgonefred said:
Hello all! First post!

I've built a 7.83 Hertz sine wave oscillator that is fed into a 1,000 wind coil (soft iron rod/bifilar windings/self cancelling) and have tested in out on my oscilliscope and it's working beautifully with a peak voltage of 5.8 VAC (4.1 RMS AC). This device is being used as an environmental experiment to re-establish the Schumann Earth resonance.
The one issue that I've been pondered about the Schumann Resonance is whether it is considered a AC sine wave (positive side alternating to negative side) or if it is more of a pulsing DC sine wave (fluxating amplitude, positive the entire time).
My device is a simple Wein-Bridge oscillator and I would like to take a 6 volt DC line and superimpose the oscillator on top of it. Theoretically getting a sine wave going in amplitude from .2V to 11.8V. I think this can be accomplished by simply using using a capacitor that acts as a wall for the AC to pass through whilst keeping the DC contained.
One thought I had was to simply use the same positive supply rail that powers the oscillator and run it through a voltage divider network with resistors (easy) in order to get the 6 volt signal. I then send take that 6 volts and met it up with a T point with the capacitor, and then on to the coil and ground.
I thought I would see if someone if familiar with this little 'trick'.

Thanx and Namaste,
Christopher

You can bias the AC signal with a pull-up from the DC signal or a resistor divider. This is very common for audio signals.

Also like you said, you can use an AC coupling capacitor to isolate your AC source from the DC voltage. I did this for a audio cable project once. You still will be biasing the AC signal with a DC voltage and resistor, and you select the resistor to so that the cutoff frequency is not in your bandwidth.

You can also put the AC and DC voltage sources in series, but I'm not sure if this is actually done in practice.

Hello Dragon Petter and thank you for the reply.

Do you think that since this is a very low frequency that it will need the use of a large capacitor?

I'm very interested in your mention about the pull up from the DC signal. How would this be done? Perhaps I've already thought of the correct answer but it will be a little bit until I am able to try it out.

Cheers,
Christopher

Your coil probably doesn't have much DC resistance, so if you have a DC component, this small resistance will present a heavy load to whatever is driving it.

You could get an offset voltage with an opamp, but if the load was almost a short circuit to DC, then the output from an opamp would be low.

Why are you using an oscillator? Isn't the Schumann effect caused by lightning around the world and your function would be mainly to listen to it with a receiver?

1. What is superimposing an AC signal onto a DC line?

Superimposing an AC signal onto a DC line means adding an alternating current (AC) signal on top of a direct current (DC) signal. This allows for both types of current to be present on the same line.

2. Why would someone want to superimpose an AC signal onto a DC line?

One reason for superimposing an AC signal onto a DC line is to transmit data or information through a power line. The AC signal can be used to carry the information while the DC line provides power to the system.

3. What equipment is needed to superimpose an AC signal onto a DC line?

To superimpose an AC signal onto a DC line, you will need a transformer, a capacitor, and a diode. The transformer is used to isolate the AC signal from the DC line, the capacitor is used to filter out the DC component, and the diode is used to rectify the AC signal.

4. What are the challenges of superimposing an AC signal onto a DC line?

One challenge is ensuring that the AC signal does not interfere with the DC power supply. This can be overcome by using proper shielding and filtering techniques. Another challenge is maintaining the integrity of the AC signal over long distances on the DC line.

5. What are some applications of superimposing an AC signal onto a DC line?

Superimposing an AC signal onto a DC line has various applications, such as power line communication, power line networking, and remote sensing. It can also be used in systems that require both power and data transmission on the same line, such as smart grids and industrial control systems.