Mastering Inequalities: Tips and Tricks for Solving Complex Equations

• Thread starter Sombra
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks.In summary,If I have a problem such as x^2 + 3x <10 and I got -5 and 2 as my answers, would it be x< -5 and x<2? or -5<x<2?? and when there is an absolute value symbol in the problem, when finding the other answer, do I flip the inequality sign?For the first part, you should plot the parabola and see for which "x",the values of "y" (of the function whose graph is the parabola) are less than 0. For the second part, please be more specific.Give an example,maybe... like l 3x-4 l >5.
Sombra
If I have a problem such as x^2 + 3x <10 and I got -5 and 2 as my answers, would it be x< -5 and x<2? or -5<x<2?? and when there is an absolute value symbol in the problem, when finding the other answer, do I flip the inequality sign? Please help me remember the rules on inequality!

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case,it's better if u do a graph.
First of all,write your inequation under the form
[tex] x^{2}+3x-10<0 [/tex]

Plot the parabola and see for which "x",the values of "y" (of the function whose graph is the parabola) are less than 0.

For the second part,please be more specific.Give an example,maybe...

Daniel.

Thanks. For the second part, something like l 3x-4 l >5

Okay,explicitate the modulus...According to its definition,of course...

Daniel.

Dexter, behave yourself!

A general technique for solving inequalities is to solve the equation first (just what you did) then check one point in each interval.

For example, to solve x2+ 3x< 10, first solve x2+ 3x= 10.
x2+ 3x- 10= (x+ 5)(x- 2)= 0 so x= -5 or 2. Those points divide the number line into 3 intervals: x< -5, -5< x< 2, and x> 2. Since a continuous function can change from positive to negative and vice versa (or < 10 to > 10) where it is equal to 0 (or = 10) x2+3x- 10 must have the same sign throughout each of those intervals.
It's easy to calculate that (-6)2+ 3(-6)= 36- 18= 18> 10 so x2+ 3x> 10 for all x< -5.
It's easy to calculate that 02+ 3(0)= 0< 10 so x2+ 3x< 10 for all x between -5 and 2.
It's easy to calculate that 32+ 3(3)= 12> 10 so x2+ 3x> 10 for a x> 2.

Likewise to solve |3x-4|> 5, first solve |3x- 4|= 5. Since absolute value "loses" the sign, either 3x-4= 5 or 3x-4= -5. In the first case, 3x= 9 so x= 3. In the second,
3x= -1 so x= -1/3.
The two points, x= -1/3 and x= 3 divide the number line into 3 intervals: x< -1/3,
-1/3< x< 3, and x> 3.

x= -1 is in x< -1/3. |3(-1)- 4|= |-7|= 7> 5. |3x-4|> 5 for all x< -1/3.

x= 0 is in -1/3< x< 3. |3(0)-4|= |-4|= 4< 5. |3x-4|< 5 for all x in -1/3< x< 3.

x= 4 is in x> 3. |3(4)-4|= |8|= 8> 5. |3x- 4|> 5 for all x> 3.

What's the "catch",Halls?? :confused:

Daniel.

P.S.Did i say somethin' stupid,again? :yuck:

Sombra said:
Thanks. For the second part, something like l 3x-4 l >5
in this case, since both since are positive
you may squares both side so that the abs sign will no longer exist

Why complicate the problem uselessly?He could just apply the definition of modulus as i had advised earlier...

Mathematics is better comprehendable when put in the simpest terms... :smile:

Daniel.

"explicate the modulus"??

I would think that most basic algebra students would not recognize the word "modulus" as meaning absolute value.

"Explicitate",so when wording is concerned,it's one-a-piece... :tongue2: Check out the "erf area" in the math thread... :wink:

Daniel.

P.S.I'm not used to spelling English words for math names... :redface:

1. What is "Really Simple I just forgot"?

"Really Simple I just forgot" is a phrase commonly used to express a simple or minor mistake or error due to forgetting something.

2. How common is it to forget things?

Forgetting things is a normal and common occurrence for most people. It is a natural part of the brain's memory process and can happen to anyone.

3. What are some common causes of forgetfulness?

Some common causes of forgetfulness include stress, lack of sleep, aging, certain medications, and medical conditions such as depression, anxiety, and dementia.

4. Can forgetting things be prevented?

While forgetting things is a natural part of life, there are some strategies that can help improve memory and prevent forgetfulness. These include getting enough sleep, staying organized, practicing good nutrition, and engaging in mental exercises and activities.

5. When should I be concerned about forgetting things?

If forgetfulness begins to interfere with daily life or becomes more frequent or severe, it may be a sign of a more serious underlying condition. It is important to talk to a doctor if you are concerned about your forgetfulness.