Dealing with angular momentum of rigid bodies

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of impulse and momentum in the context of dynamics of rigid bodies. The individual is struggling with applying the concept of angular momentum about a point and is seeking clarification on when to use different equations. They are advised to refer to a first year physics book and draw analogies between translational and rotational motion. The importance of rotational inertia and its relation to mass and distribution of mass is highlighted. The conversation also emphasizes the need to understand the relationship between force and torque, as well as acceleration and angular acceleration.
tj00343
I'm taking dynamics of rigid bodies, I'm having some trouble with impulse and momentum.
Basically ,I know that angular momentum abt. a point ,is the linear momentum multilied by the moment arm .
BUT ,I'm not feeling at all comfortable appliying it
For example , When is H abt. a pt. p = (moment of intertia abt. p )(w) and when is it m*V*d ,and when is it Ig*w +mVg *(d) ,i'm very confused about the whole thing and when to apply what so any clarification on the subject would be very helpfull , preferably I would like the most general case stated and explained,than when to cancel out terms and why to get to more specific cases ...
ANY clarification/comment can be helpfull
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your question is not being answered because it's pretty broad...I'm not even sure where to start to assist.

I'd suggest you read a first year physics book on rotational kinematics, linear and angular relations,rotational variables, stuff like that...

If you understand F = ma for translational motion, you can start by figuring out the rotational analogies: Torque [T} becomes the analogy of force [F] and rotational inertia becomes the analogy of mass. The lattter gets a bit tricky because the distribution of mass relative to the axis of rotation is important. And acceleration [a] becomes angular acceleration, alpha.

So for example, instead of kinetic energy being 1/2mv2 the rotational
analog is 1/2Iw2 where m is replaced by I and v = wr. I has different values for different shapes, even when the total mass is the same.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, and is defined as the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that maintains its shape and size even when subjected to external forces. This means that all points in the object move in the same direction and with the same speed.

How is angular momentum of a rigid body calculated?

The angular momentum of a rigid body is calculated by multiplying its moment of inertia by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational motion of an object.

What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant if there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that angular momentum can be transferred between objects, but the total amount within the system remains the same.

How is angular momentum of a rigid body affected by external torques?

External torques can change the angular momentum of a rigid body by causing it to rotate or by changing its direction of rotation. This is because external torques can change the angular velocity of an object, and therefore its angular momentum.