Finding the acceleration in a gear rotating and constrained by a link.

In summary, the author is having difficulty understanding how the equations work, and needs to think about what the author is trying to calculate in order to understand it. The author also does not like subscripts or putting the numbers into the equations so soon. The author needs to start out from the beginning and define things using words. The author also likes to redefine things so that they can think about them properly. Finally, the author points out that it is useful to define the angle ∠ABD the arm makes with the horizontal. This angle can be measured using the equation sin(\theta)=(R+r)/L.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

m1r13.png

I am having difficulties with finding the acceleration at A. In the picture above are the questions that I need help with.

Physics news on Phys.org
##a_0=r\alpha##

Don't you have both translation and rotation here?

This third member in your third row (ω2*rO/IC) should be centripetal acceleration? By definition, it is directed towards the center of the path? When your gear moves from one position to another, doesn't his center makes only translation?

mishek said:
Don't you have both translation and rotation here?

This third member in your third row (ω2*rO/IC) should be centripetal acceleration? By definition, it is directed towards the center of the path? When your gear moves from one position to another, doesn't his center makes only translation?

Alright now I understand why (ω2*rO/IC) is zero. But what about aI?

This is why I don't like to see just a set of equations and working out ... the reasoning is also needed if the working out etc is to make sense.

The trick to understanding the equations is to think through what is the author trying to calculate? Once you know the reasoning the rest follows.

So, off your question, what about aI? What does it tell you? What would be it's physical meaning? Can you put it into words?

Simon Bridge said:
This is why I don't like to see just a set of equations and working out ... the reasoning is also needed if the working out etc is to make sense.

The trick to understanding the equations is to think through what is the author trying to calculate? Once you know the reasoning the rest follows.

So, off your question, what about aI? What does it tell you? What would be it's physical meaning? Can you put it into words?

aI is the acceleration tangential to the gear + the acceleration of the whole gear horizontally? Would those cancel each other out? I am not sure :S

acceleration of what?
you need to start out from the beginning.

I like to redefine things so I can think about them properly.
I don't like subscripts ... so I try not to use them if I can help it.
I also don't like putting the numbers into the equations so soon.

Let the points be as labelled.
Add point D, directly below O and A, same height as B.

So,
the radius of the gear is R=|DO|
the radius to the peg is r=|OA|
the distance along the arm to the peg is L=|BA|

angular speed of the gear is ##\omega##
angular acceleration of the gear is ##\alpha##

(all these things have values that are given to us)

need to find the angular speed ##\omega_a## and acceleration ##\alpha_a## of the arm about point B.

It may be useful to the calculation to define the angle ∠ABD the arm makes with the horizontal to be ##\theta## so that ##\sin(\theta)=(R+r)/L##.

we can see that peg A is moving horizontally to the left at the time shown. So let's make that direction positive, and, while we're at it, measure positive angles anti-clockwise as well.
The peg's motion comes from the whole gear moving to the left and also from the gear's rotation.

The whole gear is going left at the speed of point O, so that would be ##v_O=+R\omega## but the peg is also moving wrt point O, with speed ##v_{AO}=+r\omega## [1]

Therefore, you can work out the velocity of A wrt to the ground, ##v_{A}##.
Only the tangential part matters to the arm though, because ##v_t=v_A\sin(\theta)=L\omega_a##

I hope from this example you can see the value of writing out what everything means using words. You should be able to work the problem from there. Then - having understood the problem, you will be in a better place to figure out what all those chicken-scratchings on that page are about.

(Be careful to check my working - don't take it for granted that I have done stuff right.)

-------------------------

[1] we hates the subscriptes we does! Here, a double subscript ##p_{XY}## is property p of point X measured wrt point Y. If there is no Y then it's wrt to the ground.)

1. What is the formula for finding the acceleration in a gear rotating and constrained by a link?

The formula for finding acceleration in this scenario is a = (r x α) + (r x ω^2), where r is the radius of the gear, α is the angular acceleration, and ω is the angular velocity.

2. How do you calculate the radius of the gear in this scenario?

The radius of the gear can be calculated by measuring the distance from the center of the gear to the point where the link is connected. Alternatively, if the gear is a known size, the radius can be easily determined.

3. What is the role of the link in determining acceleration in a rotating gear?

The link acts as a constraint, restricting the motion of the gear to a specific path. This constraint affects the acceleration of the gear, as it must follow the path determined by the link.

4. Can the acceleration in this scenario be negative?

Yes, the acceleration can be negative if the gear is slowing down or decelerating. The negative sign indicates that the direction of the acceleration is opposite to the direction of motion.

5. How does the acceleration in a gear constrained by a link affect the performance of a machine?

The acceleration of the gear can greatly impact the overall performance of a machine. A higher acceleration can result in faster and more efficient operation, while a lower acceleration may cause delays and decrease productivity.