How easy/common is it to move from one branch of physics research to another?

In summary, a PhD student in high energy particle physics is considering their career options after graduation. They are wondering if they will be limited to only jobs in HEP physics or if other branches of physics could be open to them. They are also curious about the process of changing career paths within physics and what options are available. Specifically, they are interested in fusion and if it is possible for a HEP physicist to transition into that field.
Doofy
I'm currently a phd student and am doing high energy particle physics. I am unsure about what I will do when I graduate, but I suspect I willl apply for postdoc positions. What I'm wondering is, let's say I do decide to stay in physics. Am I completely limited to a career in HEP physics, or could other options be open to me?

It's not that I don't like HEP physics, but there are other areas that I quite like, and I'd like the option to work in certain places in the world where HEP physics is not being done but other types of physics are.

If the answer is no, then what can a PhD-holding physicist do if he wishes to change his career path? How can they prove they have the relevant knowledge to findemployment in a different branch of physics? Do they have to do another masters or even another PhD? Or can they apply to jobs and demonstrate their competency in other ways?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "another branch"? Particle astro? Nuclear? Or condensed matter?

Vanadium 50 said:
What do you mean by "another branch"? Particle astro? Nuclear? Or condensed matter?

well, when I was applying for PhD's, fusion appealed to me, but I never got any offers for that. Is it much of a leap for a HEP physicist to get into fusion?

1. How easy is it to switch from theoretical physics to experimental physics?

It depends on the individual's background knowledge and skills. While some concepts and techniques may transfer easily, others may require additional training. However, many physicists are able to switch between theoretical and experimental work throughout their careers.

2. Is it common for physicists to change their research focus or branch?

Yes, it is common for physicists to change their research focus or branch throughout their careers. This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as new interests, funding opportunities, or collaborations. In fact, it is often encouraged for physicists to have a diverse range of experiences and expertise.

3. Are there any limitations or barriers when switching branches of physics research?

There can be limitations or barriers when switching branches of physics research. These may include the need for additional training, a lack of funding or resources in the new field, or a limited number of available positions. However, with determination and perseverance, these barriers can often be overcome.

4. How does switching branches of physics research affect career opportunities?

Switching branches of physics research can open up new career opportunities, as it allows for a wider range of expertise and skills. It can also lead to collaborations and advancements in the field. However, it is important for physicists to carefully consider how their switch may impact their career goals and long-term plans.

5. What should one consider before deciding to switch branches of physics research?

Before deciding to switch branches of physics research, one should consider their interests, skills, and goals. They should also research the new field and assess the availability of funding and resources. It may also be helpful to discuss the decision with colleagues or mentors and gather advice and insights from others who have made similar switches in their careers.