Question Pertaining to Voltage

• Thread starter Shinster007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary: So, in short, eV= 1 Joule/coulomb. eV stands for 'electron volt'. It's a unit of energy equivalent to the energy gained by a unit electric charge (the magnitude of the charge...not the number of charges) when it falls through a potential difference of 1 volt. So, in short, eV= 1 Joule/coulomb.
Shinster007

Homework Statement

If an electron travels 0.350 m from an electron gun to a TV screen in 46.0 ns, what voltage was used to accelerate it? (Note that the voltage you obtain here is lower than actually used in TVs to avoid the necessity of relativistic corrections.)

Homework Equations

E=k(q/r^2) ΔV=|Ed| ΔKE + ΔPE = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue how to answer this question. I don't know if it's because I am trying to use the wrong equations, or because I am just not seeing the connections

Physics news on Phys.org
If the electron travels 0.35 m in 46 ns, what velocity does it travel at? Hence what KE does it posses at this velocity? Also how does voltage and charge relate to energy?

If the electron travels 0.35 m in 46 ns, what velocity does it travel at? Hence what KE does it posses at this velocity? Also how does voltage and charge relate to energy?

Well the velocity is going to be at about 7.6x10^6 m/s. I know that K.E.= 1/2mv^2, so can I calculate the kinetic energy of that and use it as the energy to calculate voltage? I am a little lost

Keep in mind that the electron will be accelerating throughout its journey; It doesn't cover the interval at a constant speed.

What's the formula for the energy gained by a charged particle falling through a given potential difference?

E = |qΔV|? is that the equation you are talking about?

Shinster007 said:
E = |qΔV|? is that the equation you are talking about?

Yes.

Well the only thing that I can think of using is the Δ Kinetic Energy + Δ Electric Potential=0 and then trying to solve for V (voltage).

Shinster007 said:
Well the only thing that I can think of using is the Δ Kinetic Energy + Δ Electric Potential=0 and then trying to solve for V (voltage).

Sounds like a good plan :wink:

Ha ha okay, I actually tried doing that earlier but I got the wrong answer. Which of the Velocities and voltages are zero? And for the mass of the electron do I use 9.1X10^-31?

Shinster007 said:
Ha ha okay, I actually tried doing that earlier but I got the wrong answer. Which of the Velocities and voltages are zero? And for the mass of the electron do I use 9.1X10^-31?

Show your work so we can see where something might have gone wrong.

The electron starts out with zero velocity and accelerates to the screen thanks to the potential difference.

1.)1/2m(Vf^2-Vi^2) + q(Vf-Vi)=0, cancel out initial velocity and final voltage (I think) since they are zero.
2.)1/2mVf^2-qV=0
3.) 1/2mVf^2=qV
4.)1/2mVf^2/q=V

That's what I tried, and got the wrong answer so I guess that I am setting up the equation wrong.

m=mass of electron, 9.1x10^-31 kg
Vf= 7.61x10^6
q= 1.6x10^-19

Those are the numbers I am using

Shinster007 said:
m=mass of electron, 9.1x10^-31 kg
Vf= 7.61x10^6
q= 1.6x10^-19

Those are the numbers I am using

How did you determine Vf? Remember that the electron is undergoing accelerated motion, not constant velocity...

Hmmm that is true. I am kinda stumped then

How did you get this Velocity ?

I think you have erred in calculating the Final Velocity at x=0.35m

Shinster007 said:
Hmmm that is true. I am kinda stumped then

It's just the usual accelerated motion of a projectile. Use the information given (distance and time) to find the final velocity assuming that a constant acceleration is applied. Hint: you can begin by determining the acceleration.

Okay, I will try to figure it out. In the meantime, can you help me with another question?

The problem is as follows:

In nuclear fission, a nucleus splits roughly in half.

(a) What is the potential 3.50 10-14 m from a fragment that has 50 protons in it?
I calculated this to be 2.05x10^6, which is correct.

(b) What is the potential energy in MeV of a similarly charged fragment at this distance?

I have no idea what this part is asking for; our professor did not go over those units at all and the textbook we are using is very vague on the subject.

Shinster007 said:
Okay, I will try to figure it out. In the meantime, can you help me with another question?

The problem is as follows:

In nuclear fission, a nucleus splits roughly in half.

(a) What is the potential 3.50 10-14 m from a fragment that has 50 protons in it?
I calculated this to be 2.05x10^6, which is correct.

(b) What is the potential energy in MeV of a similarly charged fragment at this distance?

I have no idea what this part is asking for; our professor did not go over those units at all and the textbook we are using is very vague on the subject.

eV stands for 'electron volt'. It's a unit of energy equivalent to the energy gained by a unit electric charge (the magnitude of the charge on the electron) falling through a potential difference of 1 volt. Hence electron volt.

MeV is Mega eV, that is, a million eV.

Okay, so how can I go from the volts to ev?

Shinster007 said:
Okay, so how can I go from the volts to ev?

First you'll have to determine the potential energy of the second fragment at the stated location. You know its charge and the potential at the given distance. Convert the resulting energy value (Joules) to eV.

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is often referred to as the "pressure" or "force" that drives electric current through a circuit.

2. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured using a device called a voltmeter. It is typically connected in parallel to the circuit and measures the potential difference between two points.

3. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

Voltage is measured in units of volts (V). One volt is defined as the potential difference across a conductor when a current of one ampere (A) dissipates one watt (W) of power.

4. How does voltage affect electrical current?

Voltage is directly proportional to electrical current, according to Ohm's Law. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, and a decrease in voltage will result in a decrease in current.

5. What are some common sources of voltage in everyday life?

Some common sources of voltage in everyday life include batteries, power outlets, and generators. These sources provide the necessary energy to power our electronic devices and appliances.