Netwon law's - confused about the forces

In summary, the conversation involved finding the tension and normal forces acting on two blocks connected by a string, one of which was on an inclined plane. The summary includes the equations and calculations for both cases, as well as discussing the concept of normal reaction and how it affects the motion of the blocks. The result of the conversation was determining the ratio of the accelerations of the blocks, which was found to be 3/2√2.
Saitama

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to begin with this one. I understand how the motion takes place but I am really not sure how to begin making the equations.
Considering the first case, B moves down and since the string is inextensible, A moves to left. So the forces acting on B are its weight and the tension from the string. Right? But what are the forces acting on A except its weight and the normal reaction from ground? I can only see that the force arise from the pulley attached but how would I calculate that force? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• nlm1.jpg
    nlm1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
Does not the tension act on Edit: [STRIKE]B[/STRIKE] A? The pulley is fixed to it... And can be also normal force between the blocks.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Does not the tension act on B?

Do you mean A? I already said that the tension acts on B.

The pulley is fixed to B... And can be also normal force between the blocks.

ehild

Sorry, can't understand this. Are you talking about the normal reaction between the blocks? I don't see how this will come into play.

Yes, I meant A. Sorry. And think about the normal force. ehild

ehild said:
Yes, I meant A. Sorry. And think about the normal force.

ehild

Please see the FBD of A and B attached. (I haven't drawn the normal reaction from the ground on A and its weight)

Do they look correct?

Attachments

• fbd1.png
    fbd1.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 402
Add the pulley to the big block.

I have to leave now. Think, and solve :)

ehild

ehild said:
Add the pulley to the big block.

I already added it. The tension on A comes from the pulley. Right?

I see... So what are your equations?

ehild

ehild said:
I see... So what are your equations?

ehild

For horizontal motion:
##N=20a## and ##T-N=40a##
##\Rightarrow T=60a##

For vertical motion:
##20g-T=20a##
##\Rightarrow 20g=80a##
##\Rightarrow a=g/4##

Net acceleration of B: ##\sqrt{2}a=g\sqrt{2}/4##

Does this look correct?

Pranav-Arora said:
For horizontal motion:
##N=20a## and ##T-N=40a##
##\Rightarrow T=60a##

For vertical motion:
##20g-T=20a##
##\Rightarrow 20g=80a##
##\Rightarrow a=g/4##

Net acceleration of B: ##\sqrt{2}a=g\sqrt{2}/4##

Does this look correct?

That looks right to me for case (i). What about case (ii)? (I take issue with one aspect of the question. It ought to specify ratio of magnitudes of accelerations.)

haruspex said:
That looks right to me for case (i). What about case (ii)? (I take issue with one aspect of the question. It ought to specify ratio of magnitudes of accelerations.)

I am having trouble determining the tension acting on the block A in case ii). Should it be simply T in the left direction? The pulley is at some angle to horizontal which is confusing me.

There is a horizontal and a vertical tension, both of the same magnitude.

ehild

ehild said:
There is a horizontal and a vertical tension, both of the same magnitude.

ehild

Is it T in both the directions?

Why should it be different?

ehild said:
Why should it be different?

Okay, thanks. Please check if my equations are correct.

Case ii)
For A, the forces acting on it in the horizontal direction are the normal reaction due to B and the tension. Both the forces are in left direction.
##T+N=40a##

For B, the forces acting in the horizontal direction is only the normal reaction due to A. But this force is in direction opposite to the motion of B and this doesn't look right to me. :confused:

well, the normal force can not pull B... So what can happen with B?

ehild

ehild said:
well, the normal force can not pull B... So what can happen with B?

ehild

It can move vertically downwards, the normal reaction won't do anything to the motion of B? Does this mean the normal reaction will be zero?

It looks so. The big block accelerates to the left and leaves the small one behind in the first instant.

ehild said:
It looks so. The big block accelerates to the left and leaves the small one behind in the first instant.

Okay so the normal reaction is zero.
Hence ##T=40a## and ##20g-T=20a##
##\Rightarrow 20g=60a \Rightarrow a=g/3##

Finding out the ratio of accelerations, it comes out to be ##3/2\sqrt{2}## which is correct.

Thanks a lot ehild! :smile:

Congratulation! I never dreamt that would be the result:biggrin:

ehild

Pranav-Arora said:
Okay so the normal reaction is zero.
Hence ##T=40a## and ##20g-T=20a##
##\Rightarrow 20g=60a \Rightarrow a=g/3##

Finding out the ratio of accelerations, it comes out to be ##3/2\sqrt{2}## which is correct.

Thanks a lot ehild! :smile:

Except, that's the ratio of magnitudes :wink:. Presumably that's what was wanted. The two accelerations are in different directions, so asking for the ratio of the accelerations is a bit poor.

1. What is Newton's First Law?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's Laws?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Newton's Laws apply to both mass and weight, but weight can change depending on the force of gravity, while mass remains constant.

4. What is the significance of Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back.

5. How do Newton's Laws apply to real-world situations?

Newton's Laws can be observed in many real-world situations, such as the motion of objects on a playground, the trajectory of a ball being thrown, or the movement of a car. They are also essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of systems, such as in engineering and space travel.