2 physics questions that I came up with that has been bothering me

• Thread starter ElishaDay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the measurement of the arc of a parabola created by a car taking flight off a ramp at a given angle and speed, as well as the role of mass in determining the energy loss of an object in motion. The first question involves using Newton's laws and calculus to find the length of the curve, while the second question discusses the impact of air friction and mass on energy loss. Further research on projectile trajectories is recommended before delving into more complex analysis.
ElishaDay
1. If a car is moving at a given speed up a ramp at a given angle, how do I find the measurement of the arc of the parabola in which the car creates upon taking flight into the air. Also given that we know the mass of the car aswell.

2. Simple. Why does kinetic energy leave a ball when I throw it? Also is the rate in which an object looses kinetic energy the same universally?Also would the mass of the object play a role in the loosing of energy?

Thank you so much you guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
ElishaDay said:
2. Why does kinetic energy leave a ball when I throw it?

A ball gains kinetic energy when you throw it, it doesn't leave it. That comes later after you've thrown it.

1. Use Newton's laws to find the x as a function of time, find the y as a function of time, then plot x vs y and get y as a function of x. You get a partial parabola. Then use some calculus to get the length of the curve.

2. Friction with the air. The mass and shape of the object are factors in determining how fast it slows due to air resistance.

wotanub said:
1. Use Newton's laws to find the x as a function of time, find the y as a function of time, then plot x vs y and get y as a function of x. You get a partial parabola. Then use some calculus to get the length of the curve.

do you mean x being the time that it goes off the ramp and y as the time it touches the ground? sorry I am not understanding.However, I do understand the calculus part of finding the measurement of the curve but how could i sketch out an accurate parabola that the car would make which of course must be done before the calculus. Without actually doing a physical experiment.

Also, I've been asking this question to multiple people and many said that it matters how much the car weighs. I know from Physics that when i throw a ball horizontally off a tower, the ball would take 2 times the height of the tower divided by 9.81 and all of this square rooted seconds to hit the ground and I multiply the seconds by the velocity in which I threw it to get the distance from the tower. Upon learning this from a Physics textbook, it never mentioned anything about the mass of the ball that is thrown. Also, With question number one, could I use that same equation whereas the tower would be the ramp?

Last edited:
For for a good start on your question 1, see the wiki on

"Trajectory_of_a_projectile"

though it neglects the air friction. But in physics, you have to walk before you run! Once you understand the simpler (no friction) analysis you can delve into the more complicated and realistic analysis.

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum physics?

The main difference between classical and quantum physics is the scale at which they operate. Classical physics deals with the macroscopic world, while quantum physics deals with the microscopic world. Classical physics explains the behavior of objects under normal conditions, while quantum physics explains the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. Classical physics is based on deterministic laws, while quantum physics introduces probabilistic behavior.

2. What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to physics?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the relationship between space and time. It is divided into two parts: special relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which deals with objects moving at any speed and in the presence of gravity. The theory of relativity has revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity, and is a crucial concept in modern physics.

3. How does the concept of energy relate to physics?

In physics, energy is defined as the ability to do work. It is a fundamental concept that is used to describe the behavior of physical systems. Energy can exist in many different forms, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, and thermal energy. The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

4. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics is a crucial tool in physics that allows us to describe and understand the laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe. In physics, mathematical equations and models are used to make predictions and test theories. The use of mathematics in physics has led to many significant discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the natural world.

5. How does the study of physics impact our daily lives?

The study of physics has a profound impact on our daily lives, as it is the foundation for many modern technologies and innovations. From electricity and magnetism to nuclear power and medical imaging, physics plays a crucial role in many aspects of our lives. It also helps us understand the natural world and provides us with the tools to solve problems and make advancements in various fields.