Calculate Velocity of Bullet

In summary, Agent Arlene devised a method of measuring the muzzle velocity of a rifle by firing a bullet into a 4.064 kg wooden block resting on a smooth surface. The maximum distance that the block compressed the spring was 9.460 cm.
tristanmagnum

Homework Statement

Agent Arlene devised the following method of measuring the muzzle velocity of a rifle (the figure below). She fires a bullet into a 4.064-kg wooden block resting on a smooth surface, and attached to a spring of spring constant k = 164.5N/m . The bullet, whose mass is 7.870 g, remains embedded in the wooden block. She measures the maximum distance that the block compresses the spring to be 9.460cm .
(Figure 1)

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1696765/3/Giancoli7.ch11.p22.jpg

What is the speed v of the bullet?

2. Homework Equations

v=√(k/m)*x

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried using that equation and different variations but my mastering physics says I'm incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
i tried using √164.5/(4.064+.00787) *.0946

i also tried using .5mv^2=.5kx^2

Mech. energy is not conserved in inelastic collisions. Use momentum conservation and then use Energy conservation.

i can't tell if the question want the velocity before the collision or after the collision.

It says "muzzle velocity". So it is not the velocity after collision.

so then should i not use the equation i did ?

what equation should i use

You should use energy conservation.
The kinetic energy of the bullet before collision = the potential energy of spring after collision

so 1/2mv2=mgh?

no that's wrong

tristanmagnum said:
so 1/2mv2=mgh?

The potential energy of the spring not the gravitational potencial energy(which would stay constant as the system is horizontal)

.5mv^2=.5kx^2?

that's right

would x be the compression of the block after the bullets hit?

Yes,right.x would be the compression after bullet hits it.

mass should be in kg or gr?

Wait i think we can't use the conservation of energy here as the mechanical energy is not conserved.Instead we will use conservation of momentum

so then i would use m1v1right?

My answer is coming to be 329m/s.

First ignore the spring and calculate the momentum as
mv =(m+M)v1
Now apply the enrgy coonservation
(M+m)v1^2=kx^2
find the value of v1 and then put it in first equation.You will get the answer.

What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a bullet?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a bullet is V = √(2KE/m), where V represents the velocity, KE represents the kinetic energy, and m represents the mass of the bullet.

What units are used to measure the velocity of a bullet?

The velocity of a bullet is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

Do different types of bullets have different velocities?

Yes, different types of bullets can have different velocities due to variations in their mass, shape, and design. The velocity of a bullet can also be affected by external factors such as air resistance and the type of gun used.

How is the velocity of a bullet measured in real life?

The velocity of a bullet is measured using a chronograph, which is a device that uses infrared sensors to measure the time it takes for a bullet to pass through two points. The velocity can also be calculated using the distance between the points and the time measured.

What factors can affect the velocity of a bullet?

The velocity of a bullet can be affected by various factors including the type of gun, the type and amount of gunpowder used, the length of the barrel, the weight and design of the bullet, air resistance, and external conditions such as temperature and altitude.