Can the Coefficient of Friction for Air Be Found for Building a Hovercraft?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for the coefficient of friction for air in a physics project involving the construction of a hovercraft. The speaker mentions finding the coefficient of friction for concrete on rubber to be 0.8, but notes that this may not apply to air. They suggest looking into the concept of viscosity and conducting further research on the topic.
darnone
hi, I am doing a physics project in which I am building a hovercraft. i want to show mathematically how the craft lowers the friction, however, i cannot find the coefficent of friction for air. i found the coefficient of friction for concret on rubber to be roughly 0.8... any ideas on air? thanks a lot for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
darnone said:
hi, I am doing a physics project in which I am building a hovercraft. i want to show mathematically how the craft lowers the friction, however, i cannot find the coefficent of friction for air. i found the coefficient of friction for concret on rubber to be roughly 0.8... any ideas on air? thanks a lot for any help.

You probably will not find it. Coefficient of friction applies to solid materials in contact with one onother. When fluids are involved, resistance effects are more likely to fall in the realm of viscosity. "Thick" liquids pour slowly, and they resist motion more than thin liquids. Gasses offer far less resistance than liquids. The resistance force on a solid moving through a fluid depends on the speed of motion. The reason a skydiver reaches a terminal velocity is because of the viscosity of air. You might do some searching for information related to that term.

Yep, a fluid dynamics textbook would be very handy here. Perhaps you could find some data on google.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 representing no friction and 1 representing maximum friction.

How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This force is known as the frictional force and is measured using a device called a friction tester.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is affected by various factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the temperature, and the presence of lubricants. The type of motion (sliding, rolling, or fluid) also plays a role in determining the coefficient of friction.

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important in various aspects of everyday life, such as in transportation (e.g. car tires on roads), sports (e.g. grip of shoes on the ground), and engineering (e.g. designing machines and structures with proper friction to avoid slipping or excessive wear).

How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants between the surfaces in contact, making the surfaces smoother, or changing the type of motion (e.g. from sliding to rolling). Additionally, using materials with lower coefficients of friction or adjusting the weight of an object can also help reduce friction.