Statistics of the Bermuda Triangle

In summary: There have been numerous reports of strange phenomena in the Bermuda Triangle, although no evidence has been found to support the idea that the area has more losses than other parts of the world. Some of the more well-known reports include the disappearance of a tugboat in 1966, the experience of two pilots in 1974, and the bizarre case of the "Boattrip."
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I've noticed that a few people say that what occurs in the Bermuda triangle is simple statistics; that for the amount of aircraft/boats that travel through there, the dissappearence and accident rates are not anything out of the normal. I couldn't find the information throughout the various threads on this article so i was wondering if someone can point me to a credible source that shows a statistical analysis of the Bermuda Triangle.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the most part, the statistics are no different for the BT than anywhere else. The argument is that a good number of unusual disappearances are the key. These are what really create the interest. The number of unusual disappearances is probably extremely small as compared to the total number of craft lost to bad weather or other known causes, so any statistical evidence would be buried in the noise. The evidence for anything unusual has to be considered on a case by case basis.

Got any actual references I can use?

Pengwuino said:
Got any actual references I can use?

Do you mean specific cases? There are plenty of links in the previous discussions.

Here is a typical report
In 1966, a tugboat captain, Don Henry was on his way from Puerto Rico to Fort Lauderdale on a clear afternoon. Suddenly the compasses on his tug began to spin wildly as a strange darkness descended on them and the horizon couldn’t be seen. Water was coming in all directions, and their electrical power failed completely. A dense fog covered their tug. Luckily, their engine kept going and they moved out of the fog. Looking back, the fog was densely concentrated in a solid block, "a bank." Inside this area, the sea was boiling. Outside this area, the sea was calm.
http://www.coverups.com/bermuda.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I mean are there any pages that show the # of disappearences vs. the # of ships/aircraft that go through there per year along with the same statistics for other parts of the world?

People have looked at this and I am pretty sure that I've seen this information on the net, but I don't know exactly where to find it. For formal proof, the easiest place to look is at insurance companies. Lloyds of London, the worlds largest maritime insurer, charges no more for shipping in the BT than similar locations elsewhere. Perhaps you can get something from Lloyds. Also, you might check with the Coast Gaurd.

Alright, thank you.

Here is an old thread about it. Bermuda Triangle Solved

"According to Lloyd's Records, 428 vessels have been reported missing throughout the world since 1955, and it may interest you to know that our intelligence service can find no evidence to support the claim that the Bermuda Triangle has more losses than elsewhere. This finding is upheld by the United States Coastguard whose computer based records of casualties in the Atlantic go back to 1958."

http://www.spartechsoftware.com/dimensions/places/BermudaTriangle.htm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I just googled "Bermuda triangle" and "lloyds of london" and this thread acme up on the first page!

One of the stranger BT stories

This strange story just aired on the Sci Fi Channel's BT program.

Last Monday evening a friend and myself departed West Palm Beach, Florida, en route to West End, Bahamas, in my 26 foot sailboat. Eleven miles offshore I looked up in the sky to the northeast and witnessed something strange. There was a single light— I'm guessing about 3 to 5 thousand feet in altitude— which I assumed to be an aircraft with it's landing light on although not very brilliant. The light then appeared to turn downward which then made me think it may be a helicopter with a searchlight, although again it wasn't a brilliant light. A swirling mist then engulfed the light as the light slowly drifted down into the mist. The whole mass of mist then glowed a short time and then dissipated along with the light. Stars could then be seen and the sky was clear. This happened at 9:30 pm EST, and my friend witnessed it too and tried to videotape it but the boat was pitching too much to get anything. My question is, have you heard of this phenomena before ? [continued]
http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/html/rare_form.html

1. What is the Bermuda Triangle?

The Bermuda Triangle, also known as the Devil's Triangle, is a region in the western part of the North Atlantic Ocean where numerous aircraft and ships have mysteriously disappeared. It is roughly bounded by Miami, Bermuda, and Puerto Rico.

2. How many disappearances have occurred in the Bermuda Triangle?

Since the mid-20th century, over 1,000 ships and planes are said to have disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle, with the most famous being the disappearance of Flight 19 in 1945. However, many of these incidents have been debunked or found to have explanations other than supernatural causes.

3. What are some theories about the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle?

There is no scientific evidence to support any specific theory about the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle. Some speculate that it is due to a powerful magnetic field in the area, others believe it is caused by rogue waves or sudden weather changes. Some even suggest alien abductions or the existence of a sea monster.

4. Is the Bermuda Triangle more dangerous than other parts of the ocean?

No, the number of disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle is not significantly higher than any other well-traveled part of the ocean. In fact, the Bermuda Triangle is a heavily traveled shipping lane and air route, which may explain the higher number of incidents reported in the area.

5. How do scientists explain the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle?

Scientists attribute the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle to natural causes such as human error, technical malfunctions, and extreme weather conditions. They also point out that many of the reported incidents have exaggerated or unsubstantiated claims, and there is no evidence to suggest that the Bermuda Triangle is any more dangerous than other parts of the ocean.