Help with impedance matching problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the thickness and refractive index of a coating that will avoid reflections of a specific wavelength when light passes through a glass lens. By using the theoretical condition for no reflection, the equations for input impedance and intrinsic impedance of electromagnetic waves in different media, and solving for the thickness of the coating, the desired values are obtained.
ruku320
Ok, need some help with the end part of this, here's the problem...

The relation between the impedance Z and the refractive index n of a dielectric is given by Z=1/n. Light traveling in free space enters a glass lens which has a refractive index of 1.5 for free space wavelength of 5.5E-7 m. Show that the reflections of this wavelength are avoided by a coating of refractive index 1.22 and thickness 1.12E-7 m.

Alright, since this is just a impedance mathching problem, you know that Z2=sqrt(Z1*Z3). In this case, Z1 is just 1 since its air and Z3=1/1.5. Solving for this you get Z2=1/1.22 where n=1.22.

The next part is where I have a problem. You know from the boundary conditions that Z1/Z2=(A2-B2)/(A1-B1) where A1 is the amplitude of the light in Z1, B1 is the amplitude of the reflected wave in Z1 and the same for A2 and B2. If you go back a few steps you also know that k1/k2=(A2-B2)/(A1-B1) where k1 and k2 are the wave number (2PI/wavelength). So, you should be able to set Z1/Z2=k1/k2 and then plug in what you know and solve for the wavelength of the wave when its in Z2. Once you get that you know that the thickness of the coating should be l=wavelenth/4 since this is a given in a impedance matching problem.

However, when i solve out everything, I don't get 1.12E-7. I find that I get 1.67E-7 instead and the only way to get 1.12E-7 is if Z1/Z2=k2/k1. I've checked my algebra many times I really don't see a problem in it. Anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, you're doing quite a lot of things here, and I'm not sure how to follow. The theoretical condition for no reflection from an impedence point of view is for the input impedance into the coating to be equal to the intrinsic impedence of EM waves in air. The waves will thus "feel" like there has been no change in medium at all.

Let medium 1 be air with intrinsic impedence [tex]\sqrt{\frac{\mu_0}{\epsilon_0}}[/tex], medium 2 be the coating, 3 be the glass and propagation in the positive z direction. Assume lossless dielectrics. Now from the equation:

[tex] \eta_i_n = \eta_2\frac{\eta_3 + j\,\eta_2tan\beta z}{\eta_2 + j\,\eta_3tan\beta z}[/tex]

[tex]
\eta_i_n = \eta_1

\eta_1 = \eta_2\frac{\eta_3 + j\,\eta_2tan\beta z}{\eta_2 + j\,\eta_3tan\beta z}[/tex]

For them to be equal, we have two solutions, but we are more interested in the one where the imaginary side approaches infinity. Then

[tex]\eta_1 = \frac{\eta_2^2}{\eta_3}[/tex]

For the imaginary to approach infinity, we must have
[tex]\tan\beta z \rightarrow \infty[/tex] or [tex]\beta z = \pi/2, 3\pi/4,...[/tex]

Solving simply for z, or d, as the propagation constant beta is fixed for a specific wave length and medium (medium 2 - coating).

[tex]d = \frac{\lambda_2}{4}[/tex]

If you calculate the wavelength of 5.5E-7 m in the coating or 5.5E-7/1.22, and plug it into that equation, you get your answer.

For the goodness of GOD! Finally I've fixed the latex.

Last edited:

Based on the information provided, it seems like you have correctly applied the impedance matching formula and calculated the thickness of the coating to be 1.67E-7 m. It is possible that there is a mistake in the given values or in the calculations. I would suggest double checking all the numbers and equations to make sure they are accurate. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or a mentor to see if they can identify any potential errors. Good luck!

1. What is impedance matching and why is it important?

Impedance matching is the process of adjusting the input and output impedances of two electrical components in order to maximize power transfer and minimize signal reflections. It is important because it ensures efficient and accurate transmission of signals, which is crucial in many electronic systems.

2. What are the common issues that can arise from an impedance mismatch?

Some common issues that can arise from an impedance mismatch include signal distortion, loss of power, and damage to the components involved. This can lead to poor performance and even malfunction of electronic devices.

3. How can I determine if there is an impedance matching problem?

One way to determine if there is an impedance matching problem is to measure the impedance of the components involved and compare them to the desired impedance. Another way is to observe the performance of the system and look for any signs of signal distortion or power loss.

4. What are some techniques for achieving impedance matching?

There are several techniques for achieving impedance matching, including using matching networks, using buffer amplifiers, and using impedance matching transformers. The specific technique used will depend on the components involved and the desired impedance.

5. Can impedance matching be done for all types of electrical components?

Impedance matching can be done for most types of electrical components, including resistors, capacitors, and inductors. However, it may not always be necessary or feasible, and the level of matching required may vary depending on the specific application.