Aerospace Engineering: Job Opportunities in the Northeast

In summary, the person is a high school senior interested in majoring in aerospace engineering and has concerns about job opportunities and locations. They prefer to work in an R&D department for a major corporation and stay close to home in New York. They are wondering if there are any R&D jobs available in the Northeast and how difficult it is to get a job with an undergraduate degree. They also ask about the average base salary for aerospace engineers and whether it is possible to work part-time in the industry. The expert summarizer responds by mentioning that aerospace engineering is similar to mechanical engineering and can lead to job opportunities in companies that produce engines. They also mention that it may be difficult to find part-time work in the industry and that starting salaries for those
SDutra
I'm currently a high school senior applying to colleges, planning to major in aerospace engineering. However, I am concerned about the job outlook and employment locations for the field. I was to work in a R&D department of a major cororation but also want to stay reasonably close to home (NY). Are there any R&D jobs available in the Northeast? I can only seem to find oppurtunities in California. Also, how hard is it for an aerospace engineer to get a job with an undergraduate degree? What is an average base salary? And finally, are any aerospace engineers employed outside of the aerospace industry? Thanks for any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
i'll only answer the last part of your question in which you askedis ther any chance to work outside the industry
aerospace engr'g is similar to mechanical eng as you can see easily, both have same courses but aerospace is the spezialized. thus i want to mean you can work anywher that produces engines and gain more than your needs
the only problem is loving the job because it is going to fill your life, don't forget

Is there no way to work in aerospace engineering part-time? I really want to go into it, but I won't be able to handle a full-time job.

Last edited by a moderator:
R & D with undergrad?... not very likely
Starting salery with UG...between 40-50K depends location.
North East is the place to be baby, MIT, P&W, much more.
Jaap

1. What types of job opportunities are available in the field of Aerospace Engineering in the Northeast?

Aerospace Engineering offers a wide range of job opportunities in the Northeast, including roles in aircraft design, manufacturing, testing, maintenance, and research and development. Other possible job opportunities include working with satellites, spacecraft, and defense systems.

2. What are the top companies hiring Aerospace Engineers in the Northeast?

Some of the top companies hiring Aerospace Engineers in the Northeast include General Electric Aviation, Pratt & Whitney, Raytheon Technologies, BAE Systems, and Lockheed Martin. Other notable companies include Boeing, Northrop Grumman, and Honeywell Aerospace.

3. What qualifications are required for a job in Aerospace Engineering in the Northeast?

Most companies hiring for Aerospace Engineering positions in the Northeast require a Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related field. Some roles may also require a Master's degree or previous experience in the field. Other important qualifications include strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team.

4. Are there any internships or co-op opportunities available in the field of Aerospace Engineering in the Northeast?

Yes, there are many internships and co-op opportunities available in the field of Aerospace Engineering in the Northeast. Companies such as General Electric Aviation, Raytheon Technologies, and Pratt & Whitney offer internships and co-op programs for students in this field. These opportunities provide valuable hands-on experience and can often lead to full-time job offers.

5. What is the average salary for an Aerospace Engineer in the Northeast?

The average salary for an Aerospace Engineer in the Northeast varies depending on experience, job role, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual wage for Aerospace Engineers in the Northeast region is around $124,000. However, salaries can range from around $85,000 for entry-level positions to over $150,000 for more experienced engineers.