Can a Pipe Rocket be Made for a Water Rocket Model?

In summary, a beginner water rocket enthusiast tries to improve their skills by learning about model rocket propulsion. They find a website that discusses the topic in-depth and decides to build a simple model using common materials.
gs_cmans
Hello friends,
I am just a begginer of model rocketary. I just felt it is better to start with water rockets since i can't get much of the rocketary kits in the place i am living with.
I know it is not such big topic to be discussed under a engineering thread, but still as an amateur i will engineer this small project first.
I knew the basic physics behind rocket propulsion so i believe can manage.
Any suggestion or links to follow,

Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting point to look at is the ratio of air to water to use! Should keep you busy and teach you something.

i have got the idea of model but finding har to get fitting the launcher sine it needs a lot of fix ups.
any easy immediate to try methods, so it will get me more interesting

Depends on what level you want to build the thing at. We used to use a simple riveted aluminium frame, with a little turned steel air adaptor which fitted into the neck of the rocket, and a cable operated (release pin) three-arm sprung release mechanism.

How good a rocket do you want to make, and what resources do you have?

You could fabricate a Water Rocket from Carbon Tubing, You may be able to Fabricate a Fiber Glass Nose Cone, The Jet Nozzle can be Fabricated from Heavy duty PVC Fittings. If you could get the PSI up to 120 then a 6 foot Water Rocket would leave your site when it took off.

Warning! You may not find it!

Test the Maximum PSI rating first.

We use to build these out of Pepsi 2 Liter Bottles, They were quite fun!

I have a lot of experience building them from odds and ends.

You could build one out of pure PVC Pipe Material but what fun is that.

Super Strength Materials but super light weight is your target.

Last edited:
Other things that one must never do with a Water Rocket!

Never use the following as replacements for Water Rocket Fuel.

1. Gasoline
2. Liquid Ether
3. Kerosine
4. Liquid Nitrous Oxide
5. Alcohol
6. Lighter Fuel
7. Charcoal Starter Fluid
8. Acid
9. Freon
10. Liquid Nitrogen
11. Liquid Oxygen
12. Vinager, especially with Baking Soda mix

A 2 liter Bottle Water Rocket can be filled to 60 PSI and will reach an altitude of 200 ft on a non windy day with 12 oz of Water, you may reach higher altitudes with better aerodynamics like adding a nose cone and smaller fins and adding a little more Water.

It is better to use PVC Products because there is PSI specifications for parts available and fittings that can be worked with very easly, when joining parts make sure to make abrasive scratches on the joining surfaces so that when the joints are joined will allow the Epoxy to grip the Plastic better when under high PSI, make sure your abrasive scratches are ringed around the pipe and not linear with the pipe.

Use Industrial Epoxy and not PVC Pipe Glue, Industrial Epoxy will hold under pressure better, JB Weld works pretty good when mixed properly has a High tolerance for PSI and can be used for joining your parts. JB Weld can be purchased at any Hardware Store.

Last edited:
can you actaully make a pipe rocket ,not a pipe launcher yeh that can be used on a water rocket model.FONT]

1. What materials do I need to build a model water rocket?

To build a model water rocket, you will need a plastic bottle (such as a 2-liter soda bottle), a launch pad, a launch tube, a bicycle pump, water, and a rocket engine or propulsion system.

2. What is the best shape for a model water rocket?

The best shape for a model water rocket is a long, slender design with a pointed nose and fins at the base. This helps with aerodynamics and stability during flight.

3. How much water and air should I use in my rocket?

The amount of water and air you use in your rocket will depend on the size and type of rocket you are building. As a general rule, you should use about 1/3 water and 2/3 air in your rocket. However, it is important to experiment and adjust these ratios to find the ideal balance for your specific rocket.

4. What is the best way to launch a model water rocket?

The best way to launch a model water rocket is to place it on a launch pad, fill it with water and air, and then quickly pressurize the rocket using a bicycle pump. Once the pressure builds up, the rocket will launch vertically into the air. It is important to stand back and keep a safe distance during the launch.

5. How can I improve the performance of my model water rocket?

There are several ways to improve the performance of your model water rocket. These include experimenting with different rocket designs, adjusting the amount of water and air, adding weight to the rocket for a more powerful launch, and using different types of rocket engines or propulsion systems. It is also important to ensure that the rocket is well-constructed and balanced for optimal performance.