Calculate Flow Rate for Reynold's Number Homework

In summary, a fluid with relative density of 0.7 and kinematic viscosity of 0.6mm2/s is used as a cooling agent in an electrical equipment cooling system. The fluid circulates through a 2m long copper pipe with a diameter of 3mm, using a pump to create a head difference of 0.5m between entry and exit. The solution to calculate the coolant flow rate through the system can be found by using the results of the small pipe experiment to calculate Reynold's number and the friction factor. However, since the pipe in the actual problem is not the same as in the small pipe experiment, the correlation between the two pipes must be considered. If the flow remains laminar, the
interxlocking

Homework Statement

A fluid with relative density σ=0.7 and kinematic viscosity [tex]\nu[/tex]=0.6mm2/s is used as a cooling agent in an electrical
equipment cooling system. The fluid circulates in a 2m long copper pipe of 3mm in diameter. A pump is used to
create a head difference of 0.5m between entry and exit of the system. Use results of your small pipe experiment to
calculate coolant flow rate through the system. Justify application of your results to this problem.

From the small pipe experiment I was able to find Reynold's number and the friction factor.

Homework Equations

hf=f * L/D * v2/2g
f = 16/Re
Re= Q * d / [tex]\nu[/tex] * (d2*pi/4)

The Attempt at a Solution

From the small pipe experiment I was able to find Reynold's number and the friction factor. However, since the pipe from the actual problem is not sure I am not sure how Reynold's number will correlate between the two pipes to help find the flow rate.

Hopefully this was clear.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the flow remains laminar (Re < 2000), then your fD = 64 / Re relation will still apply. I used the Darcy friction factor; I believe the 16 / Re is the Fanning friction factor.

What is the formula for calculating flow rate?

The formula for calculating flow rate is Q = VA, where Q is the flow rate in cubic meters per second, V is the average velocity of the fluid in meters per second, and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel through which the fluid is flowing in square meters.

What is Reynold's Number?

Reynold's Number is a dimensionless number that is used to determine the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) of a fluid in a pipe or channel. It is calculated by dividing the product of the density, velocity, and characteristic length of the fluid by its dynamic viscosity.

How do I know if the flow is laminar or turbulent?

If the Reynold's Number is less than 2000, the flow is considered laminar. If it is greater than 4000, the flow is considered turbulent. If the number falls between 2000 and 4000, it is considered a transitional flow.

What units should be used for calculating Reynold's Number?

The units used for calculating Reynold's Number depend on the units used for density, velocity, and characteristic length. However, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent and in the SI system, with density in kilograms per cubic meter, velocity in meters per second, and characteristic length in meters.

Can Reynold's Number be used for any type of fluid?

Reynold's Number can be used for any type of fluid, including liquids and gases. However, it is important to note that the properties of the fluid, such as density and viscosity, will affect the value of Reynold's Number and therefore the type of flow. It is also important to consider the appropriate units for different types of fluids.