Free Education from MIT - Learn Anything!

In summary, MIT offers a wide range of course notes for free access through their OpenCourseWare program, which includes subjects such as mathematics and linguistics. While the program has been around for a few years, it is still a great resource for supplementary information and textbook references. However, some caution that simply downloading and studying the materials may not be as effective as taking a traditional course. Nonetheless, the fact that these materials are free is a major advantage for students looking to refresh their knowledge.
billiards
Free education from MIT!

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but MIT have put up a lot of course notes for free access. You just need a pdf reader. Here's the link:

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

It is quite frankly amazing! You can learn anything from maths to linguistics, I still can't quite contain how happy I am to have found this.:approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
That is really a wonderful link. Thanks for posting it. I no longer care about credits, learning is just for my own enrichment. I already peeked and saw a few that I may take.

OCW has been around a few years now. It is a great program but don't delude yourself. There is a lot more to learning the topics than looking at the class notes and homeworks. There are some classes that have video links to them.

Yeah right, I've spent the whole day going through stuff and realized its not quite as good as I first thought. Good supplementary info though, and a useful source for textbook references.

You need to take a look at this area of OCW:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Global/OCWHelp/avocw.htm

billiards said:
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but MIT have put up a lot of course notes for free access. You just need a pdf reader. Here's the link:

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

It is quite frankly amazing! You can learn anything from maths to linguistics, I still can't quite contain how happy I am to have found this.:approve:

i'm not amazed. universities all over the world put course notes online. gilbert strang (mit math) has even been putting complete videos of his lectures (at least for his matrix heory course) on his page for years now. i don't see what the fuss is all about. how would downloading a course from mit & studying it be better (or even different) from studying a textbook, the same way people have learned stuff for decades, or longer? i guess it's free so it has that advantage but other than that i don't see a difference. maybe it helps people find out what to study as well; some like more direction than others.

Last edited:
I like watching Prof. Walter Lewin's physics lectures. He a really fun and excellent prof to watch(I think he is retired now). Sometimes watching one of his lecture's after studying the same subject for school helps to enrich my understanding of the material.

Free makes a giant difference. The last textbook I bought cost $180.00. As refresher courses, it seems perfect.

hypatia said:
Free makes a giant difference. The last textbook I bought cost $180.00. As refresher courses, it seems perfect.

the fact that the course materials are free doesn't mean much to me. i haven't bought a brand-new textbook in a long time; i guess i didn't think of that when i put up my other reply. i always get them used through www.abebooks.com, & i would never pay more than about $30-40 for one. what i was referring to when i said free was the tuition, not the textbooks. now that i think about it though, you're right, free course materials would make a huge difference.

1. What is the purpose of free education from MIT?

The purpose of free education from MIT is to provide access to high-quality educational materials and resources to anyone, regardless of their financial or geographical constraints. This initiative aims to promote lifelong learning and advance knowledge in various fields.

2. What courses are available for free from MIT?

MIT offers a wide range of courses in various disciplines, including engineering, science, business, humanities, and more. These courses are available for free on MIT OpenCourseWare, edX, and other online learning platforms.

3. How can I access free education from MIT?

You can access free education from MIT through several online platforms, such as MIT OpenCourseWare, edX, and MITx. These platforms offer a variety of courses, lectures, and materials for self-study or for use in a classroom setting.

4. Are the courses from MIT accredited?

No, the courses from MIT are not accredited, as they do not offer official credit or degrees. However, the materials and resources provided by MIT are of high quality and can supplement your learning or be used for self-study.

5. Can I earn a degree from MIT for free?

No, you cannot earn a degree from MIT for free. The free courses and materials offered by MIT are for self-study and do not offer official credit or degrees. However, you can earn a verified certificate for a fee on edX for some courses.