Calculating Principal Stress in Combined Loading of a Beam

In summary, the principle stress is determined by combining the axial and bending stresses acting on the stress element.
P0zzn
Consider a beam under combined loading. Axial force, bending moment and torsion.
I'm interested in determining the principle stress in any stress element on surface of beam.

Well as per rule I've to show my attempt so:
normal stress=axial load/beam crosssection
shear stress=torsion*radius/polar MOI
bending stress=moment * radius/ MoI about NA

normal stress and bending stress have same line of action so undergo vector addition.
Now we have a normal stress and shear stress. We got principal stress and orientation from Mohr's circle.

Sounds good... But it didn't work. Where did i go wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about posting exactly what you did. There's no way we can tell you where you went wrong without seeing what you did.

Sorry sir. But i clearly mentioned my approach to that problem. As far calculations and Mohr's circle is involved, I'm quiet sure, that's not a problem.

I'd highly appreciate your effort if you could list the stresses acting on the stress element under specified loading.

You need to think about which stress acts along each of the 3 axes.
Along the beam (call this x), you get a combination of axial stress + bending stress (positive or negative depending on relation to neutral axis)
-shear, as would be obtained from a shear diagram, acts along y axis.
-in the z axis, a normally loaded beam would have zero I believe, but if you have torsion then that is probably the third principal stress

I may have missed something, if so I hope a real structural/materials engineer will chime in.

How are we supposed to know if you made a simple sign error?

CarlAK your effort is apprecable.
I don't differ from you upto the computation of stress along X axis as you said, but there is no direct shear involved. So torsìon actually produces shear stress in y axis. And being honest i have no idea about stress in Z axis.
Anyways Thanks.

Fred, i am afraid sign isn't the problem.

P0zzn said:
Consider a beam under combined loading. Axial force, bending moment and torsion.
I'm interested in determining the principle stress in any stress element on surface of beam.

Well as per rule I've to show my attempt so:
normal stress=axial load/beam crosssection
shear stress=torsion*radius/polar MOI
bending stress=moment * radius/ MoI about NA

normal stress and bending stress have same line of action so undergo vector addition.
Now we have a normal stress and shear stress. We got principal stress and orientation from Mohr's circle.

Sounds good... But it didn't work. Where did i go wrong?

So.. what didnt work? Where did you go wrong?:cool:

This is the way i list them(according to the loadings in OP)

[tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]_{xx}[/tex] = My/I + F/A

[tex]\tau[/tex][tex]_{xy}[/tex] = VQ/I

[tex]\tau[/tex][tex]_{yz}[/tex] = 16T/(pi)d^3

Last edited:
I'm sorry but are you sure of that ank_gl??
I don't think there is direct shear involved. So possibly 2nd eqn isn't needed.
Anyways, thank you.

You mentioned combined loading, so i assumed you also included direct shear. If its pure bending, then yes, 2nd equation won't apply.

1. What is stress analysis?

Stress analysis is a scientific method used to determine the internal forces and deformations in a material or structure under external loads. It involves the study of how various forces and loads affect the behavior of an object, and is used to ensure the safety and integrity of structures and materials.

2. Why is stress analysis important?

Stress analysis is important because it allows us to understand how different materials and structures behave under different conditions. This information is crucial in designing and constructing safe and efficient structures, as well as in predicting potential failures and improving the performance of existing structures.

3. What are the different types of stress elements?

The four main types of stress elements are tension, compression, shear, and torsion. Tension refers to the pulling or stretching forces acting on a material, while compression refers to the pushing or compressing forces. Shear stress occurs when two forces act in opposite directions parallel to the surface, and torsion refers to the twisting forces acting on a material.

4. How is stress analysis performed?

Stress analysis can be performed using various methods, including analytical, numerical, and experimental techniques. Analytical methods involve solving equations and using mathematical models to determine stress and deformation values. Numerical methods use computer simulations to analyze stress and deformation in complex structures. Experimental methods involve physically testing materials and structures to observe their behavior under different conditions.

5. What are the applications of stress analysis?

Stress analysis has a wide range of applications in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, civil engineering, and manufacturing. It is used to design and improve structures such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft, as well as to analyze the stress and fatigue of mechanical components in machines and vehicles. It is also used in the development of new materials and to ensure the safety and reliability of existing structures and products.