Choosing a Telescope Under $700

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter VantagePoint72
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the conversation is about buying an astronomical telescope with a budget of $700. The person is considering a 6 or 8 inch reflector with a dobsonian mount and has used a 4.5 inch reflector before. They are asking for opinions on a good choice and recommendations for manufacturers. One person suggests an 8" dobsonian telescope from Orion for $400 and mentions the option of buying used from astronomy clubs or online marketplaces. Another person suggests reading independent reviews and provides links. The conversation ends with the person mentioning they have a book for reference and asking for brand name recommendations.
VantagePoint72
Hi everyone,
I'm finally buying my first astronomical telescope, and was wondering if any of you have an opinion to offer on what a good choice would be. My price range, including a few extra eye pieces, is anything under about $US700. I was thinking a 6 or 8 inch reflector, dobsonian mount. I've played around with a 4 and half inch reflector, equitorial mounted, and I know I want something with a little more aperture than that, but not too massive as I'll be using it mostly from my backyard (which has a view of a decently dark sky- I can see the Milky Way faintly on good nights). Any one want to comment? I also need to know which manufacturers would be a good choice. I've talked to some very knowledgeable people at stores, however I thought a bunch of different people's thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Here is a link to a telescope that should fit your needs, 8" dob, and comes in at $400 with a couple of eyepieces. I have dealt with Orion in the past, and have been satisfied with their products and service. However, instead of buying new, you might want to see if there are any astronomy clubs, swap meets, etc nearby where you could buy a used telescope and accessories and save some money. You might even want to run a want ad in the local paper or post a notice on the bulletin boards of a few local colleges - lots of people have unused astronomy gear that they don't use, and they might not think about selling it until they see your ad. Anyway, good luck!

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=366&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're considering buying used, the only place I would consider is Astromart at: http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/

You have to become a member (free), but nobody ever seems to take a beating or a bath and you can find anything ever made for amateur astronomy. Telescopes, eyepieces, finders, everything.

OK, thanks everyone, I'm checking those links out now. Yesterday, I also got a copy of the Backyard Astronomer's Guide by Terence Dickinson and Alan Dyer, which has also been very helpful. Anyone else have a particular brand name that they like?

1. What are the most important features to consider when choosing a telescope under $700?

The most important features to consider are the aperture size, focal length, and mount. Aperture size determines the amount of light a telescope can gather and therefore affects image clarity. Focal length determines the magnification of the telescope. A sturdy mount is also essential for stability and ease of use.

2. What is the recommended aperture size for a telescope under $700?

Ideally, the aperture size should be at least 80mm for a beginner-level telescope. However, if you are interested in viewing deep-sky objects, a larger aperture of 100mm or more is recommended.

3. Can I get a good quality telescope under $700?

Yes, there are many high-quality telescopes available for under $700. It is important to research and compare different models to find the best one for your needs.

4. Are there any specific brands or models that are recommended for a telescope under $700?

Brands such as Celestron, Orion, and Sky-Watcher offer a variety of telescopes under $700 that are known for their quality and performance. Popular models in this price range include the Celestron NexStar 130SLT, Orion StarBlast 6 Astro Reflector, and Sky-Watcher Traditional Dobsonian.

5. Are there any additional accessories that I should consider when purchasing a telescope under $700?

Some telescopes under $700 may come with additional accessories such as eyepieces, finderscopes, and filters. It is important to consider what accessories are included and what you may need to purchase separately. A sturdy tripod or mount is also recommended for stability and ease of use.