Any experts in using SOFTSUSY (the tool) here?

• Thread starter physlad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the use of SOFTSUSY and its capabilities. The questioner was trying to use the tool for approximate calculations but was facing issues with accuracy. They were specifically interested in the value of mh2^2 at M_z. The responder advised that even if parameters were set to 0, they can still run under the RG and the higgs mass is sensitive to various couplings. They also mentioned that physically removing particles and their couplings from the theory would require modifying the beta function, which may be difficult to do in SOFTSUSY.
physlad
Any experts in using SOFTSUSY (the tool) here?

Physics news on Phys.org

I've used it before, but I'm no expert.

Thanks for responding, chrispb! So are you familiar with the leshouches input/output? If yes, I was trying to let softsusy make some approximate calculations for me, but it refuses to do that because it's too accurate! (I get all sorts of problems, tachyons, non-convergence, etc.). Basically, I'm trying to set some of the input parameters (at GUT scale) to zero, then let softsusy run down to M_z. and I'm only interested in the value of mh2^2 at M_z. But it seems I can't set those to zero or play around. Did I confuse you? :p

Well, even if you set parameters to 0, they can still run under the RG. Furthermore, the higgs mass is rather sensitive to a bunch of the couplings in the MSSM; I believe the program operates with the two-loop beta functions. So, just restricting yourself to a particular few parameters and asking how those affect the higgs mass is going to give you an incomplete story. If you're looking to actually physically remove particles and their couplings from the theory, that would require modifying the beta function, which I believe is hard-coded into softsusy. It might be modifiable; I don't know.

1. What is SOFTSUSY and how is it used?

SOFTSUSY is a software tool used for theoretical calculations in particle physics and cosmology. It can be used to calculate properties of supersymmetric models and determine the values of parameters in these models.

2. Who can use SOFTSUSY and is it accessible to non-experts?

SOFTSUSY is open-source software and can be used by anyone with a basic understanding of particle physics. It is designed to be user-friendly and has a user-friendly interface, making it accessible to non-experts.

3. What types of calculations can be performed using SOFTSUSY?

SOFTSUSY can be used to calculate the masses and couplings of supersymmetric particles, as well as the properties of the Higgs boson. It can also be used to study the implications of different supersymmetric models on particle physics and cosmology.

4. Are there any limitations to using SOFTSUSY?

SOFTSUSY is a theoretical tool and its calculations are based on certain assumptions and approximations. As with any theoretical model, there may be limitations and uncertainties in the results. It is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of the tool before using it for calculations.

5. How can I get help or support for using SOFTSUSY?

There are several online resources available for help and support in using SOFTSUSY, such as user forums and documentation provided by the developers. Additionally, there may be experts in using SOFTSUSY within academic or research institutions who can provide guidance and support.