Exchange student destination: UCL or ICL (UK)?

In summary, the person is gathering paperwork to apply for an Erasmus exchange program and is considering University College and Imperial College in London, as well as Copenhagen University in Denmark. They are specifically looking for reputable physics faculties with courses taught in English. However, they are concerned about some mandatory courses at Copenhagen being taught in Danish. They are seeking information about the environment and experiences of exchange students at these universities, particularly in regards to the courses they will be taking in their final year of undergraduate studies. They are also advised to check TheStudentRoom.co.uk for more information.
Lavabug
I'm currently getting the paperwork done to request admission into an Erasmus exchange program. I've narrowed my options down to University College and Imperial College in London and Copenhaguen University in Denmark, as afaik they have the most reputable physics faculties with courses taught in English (from my list of options).

Some mandatory courses at Copenhaguen are taught exclusively in Danish which will likely be a problem for me so I'm thinking of UCL or ICL.

What is the environment like at these 2 universities? I'll be doing my 4th and final undergraduate year and some of the courses I'll be taking are: general relativity, advanced quantum mechanics ("II" so to speak, perturbation theory), nuclear & particle physics, electronics and a handful of electives + undergrad project.

Anyone with first-hand experience at these 2 institutions as an exchange student?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might have more luck at TheStudentRoom.co.uk, considering it is a UK based forum with, quite possibly, much more students actually who are actually studying in either program. Be sure to specify which "year" of the program you will be placed in. (BSc 3rd year or MPhys, for e.g)

Thanks, I'll have a look at that site. I have no idea if I'll be placed in any "year" in particular, as some of my mandatory 4th year courses are taught in 3rd year & masters programs (or not at all).

1. Which university, UCL or ICL, is better for exchange students?

Both UCL and ICL are highly reputable universities in the UK and offer excellent academic programs for exchange students. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and academic goals. UCL is known for its strong focus on research and offers a wide range of subjects, while ICL is known for its rigorous and competitive academic environment.

2. How do the locations of UCL and ICL compare?

Both UCL and ICL are located in London, a vibrant and culturally diverse city. UCL is located in the Bloomsbury area, known for its academic and intellectual atmosphere, while ICL is located in South Kensington, known for its museums and green spaces.

3. What types of student accommodations are available at UCL and ICL?

Both UCL and ICL offer a variety of student accommodations, including on-campus dormitories and off-campus apartments. It is recommended to research and apply for accommodations early, as they can fill up quickly.

4. What support services are available for exchange students at UCL and ICL?

Both UCL and ICL have dedicated international student support services, including academic advising, cultural and social events, and assistance with visa and legal matters. They also have student organizations and clubs specifically for international students to help them adjust to life in the UK.

5. Can I take classes at both UCL and ICL during my exchange program?

It is possible to take classes at both UCL and ICL during your exchange program, as long as the classes fit into your schedule and are approved by your home university. However, it is recommended to consult with your academic advisor and the study abroad office at your home university before making any decisions.