Evacuated Canister and Flow Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanical engineering student's first co-op work term and their assigned task of modifying a PVC collection device involving flow rates. The student is seeking help and explanations for the theory involved, specifically regarding a PVC canister connected to two plastic tubes with varying diameters and lengths to collect air samples over a 24-36 hour period. To model this system, the student will need to consider the continuity equation, Bernoulli's equation, and the effects of friction on the flow. These factors must be taken into account to accurately calculate the flow rate.
Dylano
Hello everyone, I am currently in a mechanical engineering program, and I am on my first co-op work term. I have been assigned to make modifications to a PVC collection device involving flow rates, but I have not yet taken any courses relative to flow. I was hoping I could get some help and some explanations of the theory involved.

So I have a PVC canister, with a volume of 1 litre. The canister is evacuated to -26 inches of mercury. The canister is then attached to a series two of plastic tubes to restrict the air flow. The first tube has a inner diameter of 1.58 mm and a length of 60 cm. The second tube has an inner diameter of 0.0635 mm and has a variable length. Then the system is open to normal atmospheric pressure.

The goal of this apparatus is to collect samples of air over a 24-36 hour time period. I am looking for some way to model this so that I can perform calculations with different volumes/diameters of tube/etc. I am really unsure how to do this as the pressure inside the canister is changing, which would also affect the flow rate (I am assuming).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
To model this system, you will need to utilize the principles of fluid mechanics. The most important equation to consider is the continuity equation. This equation states that mass flow rate through a pipe or tube is equal to the cross-sectional area of the pipe multiplied by the average velocity of the fluid. Since the pressure inside the canister is changing, you will have to consider Bernoulli's equation as well. This equation states that the sum of pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy is constant throughout the system. This equation can be used to determine the pressure difference across the two tubes, which in turn can be used to calculate the flow rate. Finally, you will need to consider the effects of friction on the flow. As the fluid moves through the tubes, it experiences frictional forces, which cause the fluid to lose energy. The amount of energy lost due to friction depends on the type of fluid, the length of the tube, and the diameter of the tube, among other factors. To accurately calculate the flow rate, you will need to take these factors into account. I hope this helps!

1. What is an evacuated canister?

An evacuated canister is a container that has been emptied of all air or gas, creating a partial vacuum inside. This canister is often used in scientific experiments or industrial processes where a controlled environment is necessary.

2. How is flow rate measured in an evacuated canister?

Flow rate in an evacuated canister is typically measured using a flow meter or by timing how long it takes for a certain volume of gas to fill the canister. The flow rate is then calculated by dividing the volume of gas by the time it took to fill the canister.

3. What is the purpose of using an evacuated canister in experiments?

The purpose of using an evacuated canister in experiments is to create a controlled environment where the effects of atmospheric pressure can be eliminated. This allows for more accurate measurements and observations to be made.

4. How does the pressure inside an evacuated canister affect the flow rate?

The pressure inside an evacuated canister affects the flow rate by creating a pressure differential between the canister and the surrounding environment. This differential causes gas to flow into the canister until the pressures equalize, resulting in a measurable flow rate.

5. What factors can affect the flow rate in an evacuated canister?

The flow rate in an evacuated canister can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the canister, the type of gas being used, the temperature of the gas, and any obstructions or restrictions in the flow path. Additionally, the pressure inside the canister and the pressure of the surrounding environment can also impact the flow rate.